News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

vM v. Drakken - WitP PBEM

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, July 12, 2013, 11:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Starting a coordination thread for a proposed PBEM between myself and Drakken.  We will be playing the Reluctant Admiral scenario with full stacking limits.  I would like to wait for RA 6.0 to be released, which should be any day now, but if the release drags out too much longer I'm fine with using 5.5.  I'm figuring on 3-4 turns per week, with the first 5 or so being slower due to everything going on.

My proposal for settings:

Realism:
Fog of war: ON
Advanced weather effects: ON
Allied damage control: ON
Player defined upgrades: ON
Historical first turn: OFF
7DEC surprise: ON
Reliable USN torpedoes: OFF
Realistic R&D: ON
No unit withdrawls: OFF
Reinforcements: variable

Options:
Combat reports: ON
Auto sub ops: OFF
TF move radius: ON
Plane move radius: ON
Facilities expand at start: OFF
Automatic upgrades: OFF
Accept replacements: ON
Turn cycle: 1 (would be open to changing this later, if possible)

Drakken

The settings as proposed suit me, they are standard PBEM 'historical' settings.

I can wait until RA 6.0 is released, so that we do not need to reset. However 3-4 turns a week will be a strain for me because of school and evening/weekend jobs. 2-3 turns a week would be a better aim for my schedule.

What side would you be taking? Until now I've exclusively played the Allies.

CountDeMoney

Take the lil' Nips, vM.  Sleep on the couch.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Less is fine with me.  I was always the slow one against Ide. :P

I am itching to take the Japanese, but I have not played them in AE yet so I may make a mess of the economy.  I think I can pick it up as I go, though, especially since I plan to do a game in parallel vs. the Allied AI.

I'm not big on house rules, since AE + Babes pretty much eliminates all the stupid shit from vanilla WitP.  I'd say just don't do anything obviously gamey.

For the first turn, I think the standard restrictions make sense:

Japan:
- No port attacks by LBA
- Carriers off Pearl need to leave the area on or before 09DEC

Allies:
- Cannot form new fleets (free to reorder any and all pre-formed fleets, though)
- CAP flights allowed only in SE Asia, the Philippines, and China

Drakken

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 13, 2013, 04:44:40 PM

I am itching to take the Japanese, but I have not played them in AE yet so I may make a mess of the economy.  I think I can pick it up as I go, though, especially since I plan to do a game in parallel vs. the Allied AI.

I'm not big on house rules, since AE + Babes pretty much eliminates all the stupid shit from vanilla WitP.  I'd say just don't do anything obviously gamey.

Japan:
- No port attacks by LBA

Allies:
- Cannot form new fleets (free to reorder any and all pre-formed fleets, though)

Agreed on house rules terms; with carriers at dawn.

If you feel you made too much of a mess with the Japanese economy and we haven't reached January 42 yet, I'll allow for a restart.

Drakken

How long are we willing to wait? Is there any ETA on the release of RA 6.0?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Not sure.  I was about to volunteer my assistance with the release, because John 3rd's real life is getting in the way of finishing 6.0.

I have been playing around with 5.5 to learn the new Japanese production system and come up with some sort of coherent plan.  I should be done by the weekend, and I say we start then with 5.5 if 6.0 isn't ready yet.

CountDeMoney

Cool. I can wait.

QuoteI have been playing around with 5.5 to learn the new Japanese production system and come up with some sort of coherent plan.  I should be done by the weekend, and I say we start then with 5.5 if 6.0 isn't ready yet.

Hell of a long time to sleep on the sofa, dude.

Drakken

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 16, 2013, 01:03:50 PM
Not sure.  I was about to volunteer my assistance with the release, because John 3rd's real life is getting in the way of finishing 6.0.

I have been playing around with 5.5 to learn the new Japanese production system and come up with some sort of coherent plan.  I should be done by the weekend, and I say we start then with 5.5 if 6.0 isn't ready yet.

Neat. I'll be installing it all, so that I'm ready to roll by Sunday evening.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 16, 2013, 07:23:27 PM
Hell of a long time to sleep on the sofa, dude.

She just gives me the stinky-eye when I mention it now. :P

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Since it doesn't look like John is going to be done any time soon, I say we roll with 5.5.  I will get the first turn out by Saturday evening.

Drakken

Drakken

I have downloaded the RA 5.5 files and the Babes' extended map and art, but the explanation on where installing the files is a little unclear.

Otherwise, I'm ready to go. Latest beta build (July 18th), of course,

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I can send you a package for RA 5.5 and the Babes map that you can use with JSGME.

Ideologue

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 13, 2013, 04:44:40 PM

Japan:
- No port attacks by LBA

Allies:

Can't form new fleets?  That's odd.  Why no port attacks by LBA?  I'm confused by these house rules.

I think I see the point of leaving Pearl instead of loitering though.  Been a while since I played, but iirc you could basically make the port unusable for months.  December 10th, 1941: a day that will live in infamy because America surrendered to Japan. :lol:

I never even played the 41 scenario--are there sufficient BB/CA assets/can you even order a bombardment on Dec 7?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)