Hype your favorite book series

Started by merithyn, July 12, 2013, 12:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: katmai on July 14, 2013, 03:09:41 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2013, 03:08:02 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 13, 2013, 08:48:58 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2013, 02:56:56 PM
1632 series by Eric Flint. What a wordmeister.

I just finished 1632. Pretty fun read.

I've only read the parts of the book that feature Gustavus Adolphus.

I bet the pages are all sticky now.

Somewhat.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: Habbaku on July 13, 2013, 08:52:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 13, 2013, 08:48:58 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2013, 02:56:56 PM
1632 series by Eric Flint. What a wordmeister.

I just finished 1632. Pretty fun read.

Ebook version seems to be free on Amazon at the moment.   :hmm:

"Bought".  :)

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Grey Fox

1632 was always free on the publishers website.

I've started Codex Alera. It's really a lot of tropes!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on July 12, 2013, 01:04:23 PM
My favorite is Bernard Corwell's Saxon series. Straight historical fiction set in the time of Alfred the Great. Very satisfying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saxon_Stories

Thanks for that, I'd forgot first book is in my unread pile/mountain; I'm reading it now, liking it.  :thumbsup:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 14, 2013, 09:26:05 AM
Flashman.
Yeah, that's the one.

Everyone here should at least read the first book in the series.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on July 15, 2013, 04:44:45 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 14, 2013, 09:26:05 AM
Flashman.
Yeah, that's the one.

Everyone here should at least read the first book in the series.

Does he save every one of us?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Brazen

Ian Rankin's Rebus series. Edinburgh-based detective thrillers with believable cases and characters. Not every murder is a fetish serial killer.

Gups

The Baroque Trilogy by Neal Stephenson.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Toby Frost's Space Captain Smith books are good mindless fun in a Futurama meets British Empire kind of way.

EDIT: It appears book #4 will be out soon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Battleships-Space-Captain-Smith/dp/1905802773

QuoteAttention! Isambard Smith and his loyal and noble friend, the psychopathic alien headhunter Suruk, are back in a fourth laugh-out-loud installment. In the 25th Century the future of the galaxy rests on a knife-edge. The actions of one man could save the British Space Empire, or leave Earth at the mercy of deadly legions of ant-people. That one man is Captain Isambard Smith, and Earth is in a lot of trouble. After blowing up a top-secret enemy base, Space Captain Smith and his crew deserve a rest. But their holiday ends when forces unknown destroy the robot convoy they were meant to be guarding. Smith finds himself in hot pursuit of a mysterious vessel that can pass through dimensions, incurring the wrath of the dreaded Grand Witchfinder of New Eden--which would be much easier to deal with if his pilot wasn't cowering under the dashboard and his spaceship wasn't infested with man-eating toads. Meanwhile, the Empire is gathering its allies to form a united front against alien tyranny. Unfortunately, the delicate negotiations have been entrusted to Major Wainscott, a man who knows no fear and very little about diplomacy or trousers. Once again, Captain Smith must summon all his courage to unite humanity behind the Empire. His quest will take him on a journey to face his greatest fears: from the depths of space, through Hell itself--and even to France.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on