News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hype your favorite book series

Started by merithyn, July 12, 2013, 12:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I've gotten a lot of really good ideas on books to read from the other books thread, but I admit to preferring series over single books. Once I'm in a world, I like to stay there for a while before saying good bye.

So, I thought this would be a good place to share your favorite book series.

I have several, but my absolute favorite series is Jack Whyte's Skystone Chronicles. It's a historical fiction series about how Camulot, King Arthur, and Merlin may have actually been. No magic, nothing fantastical. Straight history using characters already known to us.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

My favorite is Bernard Corwell's Saxon series. Straight historical fiction set in the time of Alfred the Great. Very satisfying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saxon_Stories

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I've already hyped the hell out of Aubrey/Maturin.

My work is done.

Eddie Teach

It's probably ASOIAF. Already gets plenty of attention here.

Clavell's Asian Saga books are well worth a read.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Racking my brain, but I don't think I've read a book series since I was a kid since so much of it is sci-fi/fantasy or historical fiction, and that's just not my thing.

Capetan Mihali

Charles Willeford, the "Hoke Moseley" series of dark hilarity crime novels (Miami Blues on to the author's death).  Just awesome, Hoke being a detective with false teeth living in a seedy Miami Beach hotel with huge alimony payments when the action starts (contemporaneously, in the early 80s).  Willeford wrote better books, but this is his only series.  I think the Languish crowd would like it quite a bit.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

I really like Kate Elliot's Crossroads series. Actually her Novels of Jaran was fun too though bit harder to locate at this point outside of Amazon.

Former is mostly fantasy in the vein of Game of Thrones though instead of dragons there are giant eagles. I think with that series she's finally got down her copying/translating of real-life historical cultures.

Latter involves a future setting with a space faring earth where the lead character finds her self-stranded on a pre-industrial world among some mongol like types.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Another great series, perfect for Languishites: the Bernie Gunther "Berlin Noir" series by Philip Kerr. Noir detective fiction meets Nazis. What could be finer? Oh, and well written and historically accurate, too.  ;)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2013, 01:22:00 PM
Racking my brain, but I don't think I've read a book series since I was a kid since so much of it is sci-fi/fantasy or historical fiction, and that's just not my thing.

The Cat Who... ?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on July 12, 2013, 01:04:23 PM
My favorite is Bernard Corwell's Saxon series. Straight historical fiction set in the time of Alfred the Great. Very satisfying.

I don't, as a rule, care for Cornwell, but this one sounds pretty cool.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zanza

Iain M. Banks Culture novels. Epic science fiction. Not really a series, just a bunch of books playing in the same universe, with no real connections between the various books.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on July 12, 2013, 01:40:01 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 12, 2013, 01:04:23 PM

I don't, as a rule, care for Cornwell, but this one sounds pretty cool.

It's much more satisfying than his Sharpe series, which is written to a pretty strict formula.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 12, 2013, 01:34:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 12, 2013, 01:22:00 PM

The Cat Who... ?

Oh, fuck that gimmicky shit.  Like the one with the bail bonds chick running around solving mysteries that my mother keeps trying to pawn on me.  YOUD LIKE IT

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 12, 2013, 01:05:52 PM
I've already hyped the hell out of Aubrey/Maturin.

My work is done.

You stole my thunder :mad:

Grey Fox

Fantasy with a lot of tropes.

http://riyria.blogspot.ca/p/books.html

Buy them, it's good fun reading.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.