News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Economic Recovery in America

Started by The Minsky Moment, July 10, 2013, 03:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I know you must. :unsure:

If not, I'll be really flabbergasted and a lot of my preconceived notions about you, New York, and its upwardly mobile quasi-bohemian class will be undermined.

Maybe I am wrong, but I was under the impression that a smartphone was much akin to a badge of basic economic worth amongst the youth (and people our age -_- ).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Also, you need to answer my question in TBR, because I'm 99% sure you're fucking with me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 15, 2013, 08:06:14 PM

If not, I'll be really flabbergasted and a lot of my preconceived notions about you, New York, and its upwardly mobile quasi-bohemian class will be undermined.

Maybe I am wrong, but I was under the impression that a smartphone was much akin to a badge of basic economic worth amongst the youth (and people our age -_- ).

Oh I get shit all the time for it. Including from an underling at work, one day. I looked at him and then said, it's a question of priorities. I wanted to live in Manhattan and own a car while you wanted an iPhone and were content to live in NJ with your parents.

But really, it's an expense I don't care for and there's always someone with an iPhone at reach if something needs to be looked up. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on July 15, 2013, 07:51:38 PM
Whoa!  That's a lot.  Mine is, like, $120.

Now, I understand 100% that your kids need phones.  If they didn't have them, they'd be labelled poors.  Since this is Amerika, that's socially damaging, so I don't begrudge you a penny on that score, although (I haven't read it yet) I bet a lot of people have.

But you need to drop that cable.  I gave up TV service a while back.  Saves like $60 a month.

Also, you need to quit spending like $300 a month on movies.  That's just wasteful.

Cable >>>>> internet on the go. Just plan your trip beforehand.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

If not, I'll be really flabbergasted and a lot of my preconceived notions about you, New York, and its upwardly mobile quasi-bohemian class will be

I also don't have a smartphone, just a company issue vintage blackberry.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 15, 2013, 11:05:21 PM

If not, I'll be really flabbergasted and a lot of my preconceived notions about you, New York, and its upwardly mobile quasi-bohemian class will be

I also don't have a smartphone, just a company issue vintage blackberry.

Same.  While I'd love an iPhone, why pay for one when the government gives me a (admittedly dated) BB for free, and tells me they don't care if I make personal calls on it as long as I don't go overboard?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on July 15, 2013, 11:19:31 PM
Same.  While I'd love an iPhone, why pay for one when the government gives me a (admittedly dated) BB for free, and tells me they don't care if I make personal calls on it as long as I don't go overboard?
I carry both a Galaxy S4 (personal use) and a Blackberry (corporate use).  I could get my Galaxy covered by work and ditch the BB, but I like having a device with a keyboard even if it's shitty in pretty much every other manner.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

My cell phone costs me $100 worth of minutes a year. I never use that up and have left over minutes when I renew. I just paid $15 to extend a month while I decide if I want to get some kind of phone or service upgrade.

Cable TV for me is about $120 monthly, includes all the premium channels. (The channels get a lot cheaper the more I get, so dropping one would only save me less than 10 bucks.) That's bundled with Internet and cable phone to bring it all to about $200. Phone part is about $25, not bad and a lot cheaper than my previous separate land line.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

I lacked a phone for years - they made me take a Blackberry, but I kept it in my office. I still lack access, deliberately, to office email.

The reason: if I let it, work would take over my entire life. I work long hours but when I'm home, I'm done until the next day.

Fortunately, I work in a niche area where I can get away with such slackness.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 16, 2013, 08:43:50 AM

I lacked a phone for years - they made me take a Blackberry, but I kept it in my office. I still lack access, deliberately, to office email.

The reason: if I let it, work would take over my entire life. I work long hours but when I'm home, I'm done until the next day.

Fortunately, I work in a niche area where I can get away with such slackness.  ;)

Everyone who works around me or with me has a blackberry. I do not. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2013, 08:56:05 AM

:cheers:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

I miss my Crackberry.  :(

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 16, 2013, 09:04:56 AM

I miss my Crackberry.  :(

I already do enough work at odd hours. I don't need an extra device that encourages me to do work when not near a computer.