Yes
7 (17.1%)
No
33 (80.5%)
I've taken bribes
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Warspite

I think it would be useful to differentiate bribes and extortion.

In my mind, if I pay a corrupt official cash to do something for me that he is not supposed to, that's a bribe. If I'm told by an official that something unjustified and undesirable will happen to me unless I pay, or he won't do his duty unless I pay, that's extortion.

I am not bribing a policeman if it's the end of the month and he pulls me over on a clearly invented traffic charge and threatens to impound my vehicle unless I pay him £5 in the local currency.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2013, 03:31:14 AM
Nope. It's just very uncommon here in the US.   Odd that they didn't have any data on the US, UK, France, Russia or China.  I'm under the impression that bribery is extremely common in Russia, fairly common in China and not unheard of in France.

The article says that Russia was left out due to questionable data validity.  It probably is widespread, but corruption's so widespread over there that it's insanely difficult to get an accurate portrayal of it out of the country.

The way the US government's compartmentalized, they'd need a sample size of, say, 25,000 (500 per state) to get an accurate picture of the way it's broken down- otherwise, places like Detroit or Atlantic City would bleed into the representation of areas that have less of a problem with it.
Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2013, 03:31:14 AM
not unheard of in France.

I would suspect it is about as not unheard of as Spain and Italy and they are included.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2013, 08:47:49 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 09, 2013, 07:08:11 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2013, 07:05:13 PM
Why no data for so many western countries? :hmm:
I imagine they're less of a priority for Transparency International.

Whereas those shifty Canadians...

Is Latin America not Western?  I just assumed they are, having a Western culture and religion and geographical location, but conversations like these make me think some people do not regard them as such.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2013, 08:14:33 AM
Is Latin America not Western?  I just assumed they are, having a Western culture and religion and geographical location, but conversations like these make me think some people do not regard them as such.

They have a Western zip code and area code, but they're really on the other side of the tracks.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

they're western adjacent :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

When I was sailing, even though we had prior stamps on the passports, every Central and South American country we went to expected a gift in order for the local government official to give his okey dokey.  If we didn't it was made clear that it could take a week on our first stop in country to "sort it out."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Well don't they still get lumped into 3rd world countries? Perhaps that's why.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2013, 06:37:02 PM
Nope.  Never paid one and never taken one in any profession where it would be illegal.

I like the way this is worded.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2013, 09:53:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2013, 06:37:02 PM
Nope.  Never paid one and never taken one in any profession where it would be illegal.

I like the way this is worded.  :D

That's goddamned right.  :P

Savonarola

Quote from: Warspite on July 10, 2013, 05:26:20 AM
I think it would be useful to differentiate bribes and extortion.

In my mind, if I pay a corrupt official cash to do something for me that he is not supposed to, that's a bribe. If I'm told by an official that something unjustified and undesirable will happen to me unless I pay, or he won't do his duty unless I pay, that's extortion.

I am not bribing a policeman if it's the end of the month and he pulls me over on a clearly invented traffic charge and threatens to impound my vehicle unless I pay him £5 in the local currency.

That's fair, I should have worded the poll that way.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.