If you had a hundred grand cash in your pocket...

Started by MadImmortalMan, July 09, 2013, 04:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

CountDeMoney

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2013, 05:50:40 AM
MiM, you want to start a bail bonds business, I'm your front office nigga. 
You can be Mr. Big in the back office, whom I reference when I tell clients "Mr. Big will only accept XXX down for this bail", and you can glower at them through the venetian blinds accordingly.
If i were not a lawyer, this is what I would do.

Or just plain dirt.  Dirt is good.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ed Anger

If you need a car repo guy, I can do it.

I need to bulk up and get a chain for my wallet tho.

MAH MULLET
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on July 09, 2013, 07:48:48 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2013, 05:50:40 AM
MiM, you want to start a bail bonds business, I'm your front office nigga. 
You can be Mr. Big in the back office, whom I reference when I tell clients "Mr. Big will only accept XXX down for this bail", and you can glower at them through the venetian blinds accordingly.
If i were not a lawyer, this is what I would do.

Lawyers are another reciprocal relationship that can generate revenue streams for both parties. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 09, 2013, 07:58:28 AM
If you need a car repo guy, I can do it.

I need to bulk up and get a chain for my wallet tho.

MAH MULLET

Fuck that noise.  That shit's more dangerous than bail bonds. 

MAH ACKOORA

grumbler

If you are serious, MiM, I can see what books MHP could publish in the next year or so for $100k.  It wouldn't be a long-term thing, though, unless you wanted to buy in as a partner with some of that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on July 09, 2013, 05:59:24 AMOtto, do you know what's the skinny on property management companies?

They can make sense, the more work you do personally for your rental business the more profit you make. Property management makes sense for basically three sets of investors as I see it:

1. Individuals who own a single property in addition to their residence that they would like to rent out, but have no means of maintaining. An example I've seen is basically a woman we know who is in her mid-60s, whose very elderly mother requires care and the woman decides to move in to her mother's house to take care of her. This leaves her own home vacant, and she decides to rent it out to generate income while dealing with end of life issues and such with her mother. As a mid-60s widow with no handyman skills or energy to deal with it, paying on average 10% of her rental revenue to the property management company to handle all the details makes sense.

2. Entry to midsize real estate investors who don't have enough time to manage their own properties and who can pay the property management fee and still generate a profit. This would technically be us, but we've gone another route that keeps our profit margins healthier. Generally the more properties they own the more likely you can pay for property management and still make an acceptable profit. People like my first example are just looking to generate a small amount of income and probably own their rental property outright (not really ideal for real estate investing, it's better to finance as much as possible vs own everything outright) whereas people in this category most likely have financed the purchase of 1-10+ properties.

3. Larger players. A lot of these are actually "real estate developers" who build huge condo or apartment projects. They don't want to be land lords of any one property for very long. With condos they usually sell as many condos as they can to start, and then will use a property management company to rent out the rest as they find buyers over time. Since these players are primarily in the business of developing real estate they aren't interested in holding any properties for long or managing them. When they build large scale rental developments their goal is to find a company that is in the large scale rental business to buy the whole complex from them. Sometimes these relationships can get to be "incestuous" you see a lot of times big property developers may have an ownership group that also owns a separate property management group and then one of their firms is a customer of the other. They also usually tend to make each individual development its own stand alone business and etc.

lustindarkness

I'd buy land for trees, the rotation I think is 5 years, so it starts paying back in 5 years, making money after 25. This would give me hunting land, airsoft land, off roading trails land, and a prepper bunker.

I'd invest in cake and ice cream too.  :blush:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 09, 2013, 05:13:39 AM
Do you have a great idea for a new microbrew?

Yes. I'd like to start a new honey-based microbrewery. Honey-flavored beers, honey wines, honey ciders.

Honey whiskey and meads are becoming kind of big right now. I think a honey-based brewery would go over really well.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

grumbler

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 09, 2013, 08:39:10 AM
I'd buy land for trees, the rotation I think is 5 years, so it starts paying back in 5 years, making money after 25. This would give me hunting land, airsoft land, off roading trails land, and a prepper bunker.

I think we have the winner.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2013, 07:27:35 AM
No, I wouldn't know.  And you know that.  <_<

How do you know you hate it if you haven't seen it? And how do you not recognize Idris Elba if you have?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus

What kind of trees are we talking? Christmas trees? nursery? softwoood? pulp? hardwood(unlikely at 5 years)?

merithyn

Quote from: Maximus on July 09, 2013, 08:51:30 AM

What kind of trees are we talking? Christmas trees?

:wub:

Can I come work on your farm if you grow Christmas trees? :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

lustindarkness

Quote from: Maximus on July 09, 2013, 08:51:30 AM

What kind of trees are we talking? Christmas trees? nursery? softwoood? pulp? hardwood(unlikely at 5 years)?

Well, down here (MS, AL, GA, FL) many people do this with pine trees. They grow fast enough that a plot will be ready to cut in 5 years, so you have 5 plots in rotation. I know of someone in GA that did this and paid off his land, house and initial investment in 15 years, but if I remember right, most already had good trees to begin with.

I guess hardwoods would take a lot longer but make good money on the long run?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom