If you had a hundred grand cash in your pocket...

Started by MadImmortalMan, July 09, 2013, 04:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on July 09, 2013, 08:42:46 AM
Yes. I'd like to start a new honey-based microbrewery. Honey-flavored beers, honey wines, honey ciders.

Honey whiskey and meads are becoming kind of big right now. I think a honey-based brewery would go over really well.
I like to brew with honey, too, but the materials cost of that has got to be outrageous compared to malted barley, wheat, etc.

I'd probably use just a whisper of honey and do the rest with DME. :)

Most people probably wouldn't like the taste of a pure dry mead anyway.  I can tell you the first time I tried mead it was totally the opposite of what I expected it to taste like.  I like it now though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 09, 2013, 08:39:10 AM
I'd buy land for trees, the rotation I think is 5 years, so it starts paying back in 5 years, making money after 25. This would give me hunting land, airsoft land, off roading trails land, and a prepper bunker.
I've been seriously thinking about doing this myself. :cool:

lustindarkness

BTW, $100K cash would not fit in your pocket.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2013, 07:27:35 AM
No, I wouldn't know.  And you know that.  <_<

Apparently the character on the left of the picture (Maurice Levy, a slimy lawyer defending drug dealers) is a composition of several real Baltimore drug lawyers that operated while Simon was a reporter. You may know them.  :ph34r:

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on July 09, 2013, 09:10:40 AM
I like to brew with honey, too, but the materials cost of that has got to be outrageous compared to malted barley, wheat, etc.

It would definitely have to be a high-end brewery, to be sure.

QuoteI'd probably use just a whisper of honey and do the rest with DME. :)

:yuk:

That would be horrible!

QuoteMost people probably wouldn't like the taste of a pure dry mead anyway.  I can tell you the first time I tried mead it was totally the opposite of what I expected it to taste like.  I like it now though.

Not all meads have to be dry. It depends entirely on the yeast strain and the length of the fermentation. I've made some pretty sweet meads as well as some pretty dry ones. And the dry ones are best if left to ferment for a couple of years. Takes the edge off if it's left longer.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Scipio

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 09, 2013, 09:00:06 AM
Quote from: Maximus on July 09, 2013, 08:51:30 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on July 09, 2013, 08:39:10 AM
I'd buy land for trees, the rotation I think is 5 years, so it starts paying back in 5 years, making money after 25. This would give me hunting land, airsoft land, off roading trails land, and a prepper bunker.

I'd invest in cake and ice cream too.  :blush:
What kind of trees are we talking? Christmas trees? nursery? softwoood? pulp? hardwood(unlikely at 5 years)?

Well, down here (MS, AL, GA, FL) many people do this with pine trees. They grow fast enough that a plot will be ready to cut in 5 years, so you have 5 plots in rotation. I know of someone in GA that did this and paid off his land, house and initial investment in 15 years, but if I remember right, most already had good trees to begin with.

I guess hardwoods would take a lot longer but make good money on the long run?
Pine is the best return on investment, but you want to avoid monoculture issues, due to pine beetle infestations.  A competent licensed forester would be able to advise you.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on July 09, 2013, 09:39:23 AM
Not all meads have to be dry. It depends entirely on the yeast strain and the length of the fermentation. I've made some pretty sweet meads as well as some pretty dry ones. And the dry ones are best if left to ferment for a couple of years. Takes the edge off if it's left longer.
I've got a three gallon batch of blackberry mead that's been fermenting for three years now. :cool:

lustindarkness

Quote from: Scipio on July 09, 2013, 09:58:08 AM
Pine is the best return on investment, but you want to avoid monoculture issues, due to pine beetle infestations.  A competent licensed forester would be able to advise you.

If I can ever afford to do this, believe me I would get a pro to help me. All I know about the woods has to do with camping, off roading or how to quietly lead my squad to flank the enemy playing airsoft. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on July 09, 2013, 09:59:43 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 09, 2013, 09:39:23 AM
I've got a three gallon batch of blackberry mead that's been fermenting for three years now. :cool:

Mine never last that long. :blush:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 09, 2013, 08:09:40 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 09, 2013, 07:58:28 AM
If you need a car repo guy, I can do it.

I need to bulk up and get a chain for my wallet tho.

MAH MULLET

Fuck that noise.  That shit's more dangerous than bail bonds. 

MAH ACKOORA

No shit. Nobody's Caddy is worth bleeding out from a stomach wound.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

You could fund my work as an artist. Can't guarantee a return though :)
and the horse you rode in on

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on July 09, 2013, 11:40:05 AM
Mine never last that long. :blush:
The truth is that I'm just too lazy to swing by the beer store and get the bottles I need to finish it out. :blush:

Jacob

For a hundred grand you could fund a simple iOS game. Realistically, you'd lose your money unless you picked some people who were either very lucky or knew what they were doing (ideally both). Of course, if you got a hit you'd make a pretty fat return on investment... like making orders of magnitude back on your initial investment.

... a bit of a long shot, and probably not worth it for an individual.

Should you want to throw your money away like that, I can probably hook you up with some people and filter out the some of the ones completely doomed to fail from the outset.