News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Why I Stayed"

Started by grumbler, July 08, 2013, 11:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 03:26:03 PMOr how about I just donate to the poor through charitable donations?  Like I do now.

As per grumbler's link in the OP, it doesn't seem to be doing the trick :(

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on July 10, 2013, 03:32:05 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 03:26:03 PMOr how about I just donate to the poor through charitable donations?  Like I do now.

As per grumbler's link in the OP, it doesn't seem to be doing the trick :(

Doing what I can.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 03:33:18 PM
Doing what I can.

And Operation Rescue sincerely appreciates it.

Ed Anger

Spicy, give to the Human Fund.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 03:26:03 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 10, 2013, 03:23:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 03:14:59 PMWhat do you want me to give, then?

A good start would be to give it some attention and treating it as a problem worth addressing to begin with. After that, giving support and attention to people who are working to solve the problems would be useful that.

If you'd then give support to moving helping the poor away from the bottom of the funding priority list, that would be solid too.

Or how about I just donate to the poor through charitable donations?  Like I do now.

Because that does not address the underlying problem that Berkut put quite well.  Your government spends a great deal of money on what might losely be terms social programs but with very little bang for the buck.  Even someone like you should be concerned about that.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 03:31:06 PMDon't we have a childhood obesity problem?

Providing access to inexpensive soda and junk food does not counter the problems of underfunded schools and social services.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2013, 03:34:11 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 03:33:18 PM
Doing what I can.

And Operation Rescue sincerely appreciates it.

:moon:

The pro-life groups I've supported have all been geared toward aiding women who keep their babies.  I'm not too big on protests & whatnot.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2013, 03:36:11 PM
Your government spends a great deal of money on what might losely be terms social programs but with very little bang for the buck.  Even someone like you should be concerned about that.

So you're saying we should or shouldn't de-fund those programs?  :unsure:

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 03:40:02 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2013, 03:36:11 PM
Your government spends a great deal of money on what might losely be terms social programs but with very little bang for the buck.  Even someone like you should be concerned about that.

So you're saying we should or shouldn't de-fund those programs?  :unsure:

I am saying that the problem the US has isnt necessarily the amount its government spends but what it spends it money on.  An incredibly inefficient medical system tops that list.  But instead of fixing those inept policy decisions your politicians think that defunding the people that are the most vulnerable is the best way to go.  And your solution to that is private charities?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on July 10, 2013, 03:37:47 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 03:31:06 PMDon't we have a childhood obesity problem?

Providing access to inexpensive soda and junk food does not counter the problems of underfunded schools and social services.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on July 10, 2013, 12:43:45 PM
But it clearly is NOT completely missing. This is incredible amounts of political will to do something about poverty in America - we spend billions and billions on it.

Do we?
Because the answer depends on how one defines "it."

We have programs to feed children.  We have those programs because wealthy and powerful agricultural interests support them.  Those programs aren't designed to eliminate poverty, they are designed in the first instance to raise farm incomes and in the second instance to forestall one of the negative potential consequences of poverty - namely, starvation.  The same basic thing can be said of programs to provide shelter of some kind.  Or Medicaid.

We spend collectively as nation a lot of money of "education" but that is not quite the same thing as actually educating.  And the motives for doing the former involve lots of reasons that really have little to do with poverty.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson