News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

KFC to sue Hitler in Thailand.

Started by Syt, July 08, 2013, 09:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2356705/Fried-chicken-takeaway-called-Hitler-opens-Thailand-comes-complete-logo-Nazi-leader-bow-tie.html

QuoteFried chicken takeaway called 'Hitler' opens in Thailand and comes complete with logo of Nazi leader in a bow tie

Bizarre restaurant opened last month in Bangkok
    Images of Hitler have also been seen on t-shirts in Thailand

Schoolchildren dressing up as Nazis and a billboard advert showing Hitler were just the start.

Thailand's obsession with so-called 'Nazis chic' just won't go away - and now a fried chicken takeaway called Hitler - complete with a logo showing the Nazi leader in a bow tie - has opened its doors.

The bizarre restaurant opened last month in Thailand and images of it are doing the rounds on Twitter as shocked customers take photos of the offensive eatery.

The fascist dictator's head has been grafted onto the body of bow-tie wearing Colonel Sanders, the founder of KFC.

Among the grub on sale includes fried chicken and chips, burgers and kebabs.

More...

'Dear Hitler, your wars were beautiful': The hilarious and disturbing answers given by children in exams revealed

Londoner Andrew Spooner, who spotted the takeaway, tweeted: 'Very bizarre Hitler Fried Chicken shop in Thailand. I kid you not. Complete with pic of Hitler in bow tie.

Alan Robertson, 43, who lives in Bangkok, said: 'The place opened last month and nobody quite knows what to make of it.

'I went in for a bite last week and got some fried chicken, which was pretty good, and asked the guy behind the counter why it was called Hitler.

'He just shrugged his shoulders and said the owners had thought it was good image.'

Cartoon pandas, Teletubbies and Ronald McDonald have all been spotted on show around the capital Bangkok.

The craze has seen more and more teenagers strutting around in T-shirts bearing cartoonish images of the Nazi dictator.

In a particularly popular design, Hitler is transformed into a cartoon Ronald McDonald, the fast-food chain's clown mascot, sporting a bouffant cherry-red hairdo and a stern look.

On another T-shirt the Führer is shown in a lovely panda costume with a Nazi armband.

In September 2011 in the northern city of Chiang Mai, a group of high school students showed up for sport day in homemade Nazi uniforms, complete with swastika armbands and toy guns.

Leading them was a teenage girl dressed in a faux SS uniform with a fake Hitler mustache.

Locals cheered the students merrily from sidewalks as foreign tourists reportedly looked on aghast.

In 2009, a waxworks museum in the seaside resort town of Pattaya advertised itself with a giant billboard featuring the Führer with the legend in Thai: 'Hitler is not dead!'

In 2007, hundreds of students at a Bangkok school staged a similar Nazi-themed costume parade.

Following international outcries, teachers at both schools apologised, saying they had no idea the students had planned to dress up as Nazis.

It's of course incongruous, considering that Col. Sanders looks more like Trotsky.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

This is truly bizarre!  :huh:  And even more bizarre is that the whole idea is catching on!

derspiess

I'm guessing there's just a disconnect between Asians and Hitler/the Holocaust because it's something that happened on the other side of the world and didn't really affect them?

I wonder if there is anything we could possibly do that seems fairly innocuous to us but would really send them over the edge if they heard about it.  I'm guessing not.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on July 08, 2013, 02:41:02 PM
I'm guessing there's just a disconnect between Asians and Hitler/the Holocaust because it's something that happened on the other side of the world and didn't really affect them?

I wonder if there is anything we could possibly do that seems fairly innocuous to us but would really send them over the edge if they heard about it.  I'm guessing not.

http://www.zazzle.ca/mao+tshirts
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

citizen k

I wonder if there is anything we could possibly do that seems fairly innocuous to us but would really send them over the edge if they heard about it.

Insulting the King of Thailand might be one example.

Admiral Yi

I would argue that empathy for out-groups is an alien concept in most of Asia.

Zanza

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2013, 02:44:21 PM
I should have had one of those for my recent trip to Taiwan. An awesome chance missed and I'll probably never go back to Taiwan... :(

Savonarola

That might send them over the edge in Taiwan, but in China Mao is still an icon.  I visited the Mao mausoleum in Beijing.  There was a Disney World length line to get in.  People left offerings of flowers; some left over a dozen.  It was the only place I visited in China that people were quiet and didn't shove their way through the line.

I also saw a child's backpack for sale with a print of Barack Obama dressed like chairman Mao on the back.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on July 08, 2013, 03:15:29 PM

That might send them over the edge in Taiwan, but in China Mao is still an icon.  I visited the Mao mausoleum in Beijing.  There was a Disney World length line to get in.  People left offerings of flowers; some left over a dozen.  It was the only place I visited in China that people were quiet and didn't shove their way through the line.

I also saw a child's backpack for sale with a print of Barack Obama dressed like chairman Mao on the back.

My (very limited) understanding is that public memory of Mao is very, very divided in China - some venerate him, many despise him, most simply don't talk about him.

But still the best western analogue I could come up with.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Why would people in Thailand care about Mao shirts?  :huh:

Something about Thailand's alliance with Japan in WW2 might work, especially considering how shitty the Japanese treated all of the people in the neighboring countries.  I doubt most Thais even know they were de facto a Axis country in WW2, though - or that they backstabbed the Japanese as soon as they saw it to be in Thailand's best interests.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Savonarola on July 08, 2013, 03:15:29 PM

Japanese militarist stuff would probably not be well received in a lot of Asia.  Japan didn't really have the charismatic leadership thing going on, so a picture of say Tojo might not be enough.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Best I can come up with is that brouhaha when the Limey PM wore a poppy on his lapel during his visit to China.

Malthus

Quote from: citizen k on July 08, 2013, 02:54:02 PM

I wonder if there is anything we could possibly do that seems fairly innocuous to us but would really send them over the edge if they heard about it.

Insulting the King of Thailand might be one example.

Yul Brynner in "The King and I" allegedly annoys the Thais - the movie is banned there. A tee shirt with his image as a singing, dancing Thai monarch ought to sutably annoy them.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2013, 04:55:56 PM
Yul Brynner in "The King and I" allegedly annoys the Thais - the movie is banned there. A tee shirt with his image as a singing, dancing Thai monarch ought to sutably annoy them.  :D

I know the term "Siamese twins" offends them.  Make a T-shirt with Yul Brynner and Adolf Hitler as Siamese twins!  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 04:20:43 PM

Best I can come up with is that brouhaha when the Limey PM wore a poppy on his lapel during his visit to China.
I don't remember this, what was the problem with that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point