News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

KFC to sue Hitler in Thailand.

Started by Syt, July 08, 2013, 09:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 04:15:50 PMJapanese militarist stuff would probably not be well received in a lot of Asia.  Japan didn't really have the charismatic leadership thing going on, so a picture of say Tojo might not be enough.

The Japanese naval ensign might do the trick:

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2013, 05:26:47 PMI don't remember this, what was the problem with that?

Are you familiar with the Opium Wars? They are not remembered fondly in China.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2013, 05:27:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2013, 05:26:47 PMI don't remember this, what was the problem with that?

Ah yeah, that makes sense. I didn't mentally connect poppies with opium when mentioned in context with politicians wearing them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2013, 05:27:14 PM

(snip)

Except that they were allied to Japan (until they backstabbed the Japanese in 1945), and so probably not much offended by Japanese naval ensigns.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2013, 05:27:53 PM

:lol:  The poppy worn by the Brits (et al) is not the opium poppy!

But, I guess, the Chinese look so hard for things to be offended by that they don't consider the differences between the corn poppy and the opium poppy to be worth averting a diplomatic row over.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2013, 06:08:01 PM

(snip)

Except that they were allied to Japan (until they backstabbed the Japanese in 1945), and so probably not much offended by Japanese naval ensigns.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking Thailand and more Korea and China in response to Raz's more generic "Asia" comment.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2013, 06:32:45 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2013, 06:08:01 PM

(snip)

Yeah, I wasn't thinking Thailand and more Korea and China in response to Raz's more generic "Asia" comment.

As was I when mentioning Mao.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 04:15:50 PMJapanese militarist stuff would probably not be well received in a lot of Asia.  Japan didn't really have the charismatic leadership thing going on, so a picture of say Tojo might not be enough.

-product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/j/wje23n_-00_japan-rising-sun-naval-ensign-2ft-x-3ft-nylon-flag.gif[/img]
Ugh, yeah, with Koreans especially. You often see reports about Koreans overseas acting stupid over the Japanese naval ensign, convincing equally stupid and refusing to do research westerners that its an old symbol equivalent to the Nazi swatzika.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2013, 06:12:46 PM:lol:  The poppy worn by the Brits (et al) is not the opium poppy!

I didn't realize that. I was under the impression that you could make opium - or something pretty similar - from the common European poppy. I'm pretty sure assorted hippies, at least in Denmark, experimented with that kind of thing back in the 60s and 70s.

Is it entirely different plant altogether, or is it just that the wild strain is way less bred for its yield so it's not worth?

QuoteBut, I guess, the Chinese look so hard for things to be offended by that they don't consider the differences between the corn poppy and the opium poppy to be worth averting a diplomatic row over.

Yeah :lol:

I expect it was eagerly sought by some, in fact... it fits nicely within a somewhat popular nationalist narrative: "The foreign imperialists fucked us over and humiliated us; now we are strong, and they can't get away with it!" Smacking Cameron with some incidental bit of symbolism and making him eat at least a little bit of diplomatic crow over it is probably seen as a good thing. The Opium Wars is still a pretty sore point in China to the point that, IMO, if you're looking for just one historical reference to provide context for Chinese actions it's a pretty solid contender.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on July 08, 2013, 07:09:43 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2013, 06:12:46 PM:lol:  The poppy worn by the Brits (et al) is not the opium poppy!

I didn't realize that. I was under the impression that you could make opium - or something pretty similar - from the common European poppy. I'm pretty sure assorted hippies, at least in Denmark, experimented with that kind of thing back in the 60s and 70s.

Is it entirely different plant altogether, or is it just that the wild strain is way less bred for its yield so it's not worth?

The corn poppy (the common European weed) doesn't produce much (any?) morphine (which is the "active ingredient" in opium and is what is refined into heroin).  The opium poppy has been cultivated in Europe and the Middle East since prehistory, though, so there may be some crosses that produce more morphine in what may just look like a corn poppy.

QuoteI expect it was eagerly sought by some, in fact... it fits nicely within a somewhat popular nationalist narrative: "The foreign imperialists fucked us over and humiliated us; now we are strong, and they can't get away with it!" Smacking Cameron with some incidental bit of symbolism and making him eat at least a little bit of diplomatic crow over it is probably seen as a good thing. The Opium Wars is still a pretty sore point in China to the point that, IMO, if you're looking for just one historical reference to provide context for Chinese actions it's a pretty solid contender.
Yes, I teach Chinese exchange students, so I know how thoroughly the Opium War story has been exploited to justify pretty much every shitty thing the Chinese government has ever done.

They don't learn much about Chinese imperialism in Vietnam, Tibet, Sinkiang, or Korea, though.  Wonder why not? :hmm:

Bayraktar!

Caliga

At my house in Mass. the previous owners had a poppy bed and as an experiment once I tried making opium from the poppies.  I got as far as extracting the opium tar/gum shit from the poppies and while I have no way of knowing if it was going to be as potent as 'real' opium, FWIW the tar completely numbed my mouth/tongue when I chewed it. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 08, 2013, 07:29:51 PM

The corn poppy (the common European weed) doesn't produce much (any?) morphine (which is the "active ingredient" in opium and is what is refined into heroin).  The opium poppy has been cultivated in Europe and the Middle East since prehistory, though, so there may be some crosses that produce more morphine in what may just look like a corn poppy.

QuoteI expect it was eagerly sought by some, in fact... it fits nicely within a somewhat popular nationalist narrative: "The foreign imperialists fucked us over and humiliated us; now we are strong, and they can't get away with it!" Smacking Cameron with some incidental bit of symbolism and making him eat at least a little bit of diplomatic crow over it is probably seen as a good thing. The Opium Wars is still a pretty sore point in China to the point that, IMO, if you're looking for just one historical reference to provide context for Chinese actions it's a pretty solid contender.
Yes, I teach Chinese exchange students, so I know how thoroughly the Opium War story has been exploited to justify pretty much every shitty thing the Chinese government has ever done.

They don't learn much about Chinese imperialism in Vietnam, Tibet, Sinkiang, or Korea, though.  Wonder why not? :hmm:

People make shit up to get mad about, news at 11.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on July 08, 2013, 07:41:35 PM
At my house in Mass. the previous owners had a poppy bed and as an experiment once I tried making opium from the poppies.  I got as far as extracting the opium tar/gum shit from the poppies and while I have no way of knowing if it was going to be as potent as 'real' opium, FWIW the tar completely numbed my mouth/tongue when I chewed it. :)

I think corn poppies are poisonous.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

I expect it was eagerly sought by some, in fact... it fits nicely within a somewhat popular nationalist narrative: "The foreign imperialists fucked us over and humiliated us; now we are strong, and they can't get away with it!" Smacking Cameron with some incidental bit of symbolism and making him eat at least a little bit of diplomatic crow over it is probably seen as a good thing. The Opium Wars is still a pretty sore point in China to the point that, IMO, if you're looking for just one historical reference to provide context for Chinese actions it's a pretty solid contender.
Did he eat crow? After looking up this incident, the articles I found indicate he and his ministers refused to back down and wore them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 02:55:40 PM
I would argue that empathy for out-groups is an alien concept in most of Asia.

No joke.  Hell, they're not known for their empathy for other Asians, so you can forget the Jew concept.