News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How to watch Star Trek

Started by Barrister, July 07, 2013, 11:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How to intoduce young kids to Star Trek?

The Original Series
6 (25%)
The Next Generation
13 (54.2%)
The 2009 reboot
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Syt

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 09, 2013, 09:43:34 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2013, 02:07:17 AM
Arguably the best Star Trek movie is Galaxy Quest.

Arguably also the best sci-fi comedy of all time.  :hmm:

Some of the better LEXX episodes are up there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

If you see yourself as Kirk start with The "Original Series," if you see yourself as Picard "The Next Generation," if you don't see yourself as the captain then "Voyager."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

fhdz

Quote from: Savonarola on July 09, 2013, 01:59:52 PM
If you see yourself as Kirk start with The "Original Series," if you see yourself as Picard "The Next Generation," if you don't see yourself as the captain then "Voyager."

:lol:
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Pfft.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

I'd be tempted to go on a French-speaking server and make a thread entitled "What Frenchmen sound like in the future" and link to a clip of Picard.  :lol:

Course, the hassle of running all the responses through a translator makes it not worth it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2013, 11:48:40 PM
From what I've seen on SF Debris it seems to have a few interesting episodes, yes. Wasn't one even elevated to canon by Roddenberry?

Yes it was:

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/a102.asp
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Start with Enterprise, whatever you move on to next it will certainly be an improvement.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.