News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How to watch Star Trek

Started by Barrister, July 07, 2013, 11:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How to intoduce young kids to Star Trek?

The Original Series
6 (25%)
The Next Generation
13 (54.2%)
The 2009 reboot
5 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Barrister

So I have young boys, and I'd love to introduce them to the joys of Star Trek.  But unlike Tyr's thread, I think this is a much more difficult question when applied to Star Trek.

The Original Series is coming up on its 50th anniversary - that's positively ancient in pop culture.  A lot of TOS episodes really don't hold up very well either - hokey acting, hokey premises, and why does the future look so much like the 1960s?  But some of the best episodes... :wub:

Next Generation was pretty good too though.  I mean - the first season or two is a bit rough (been trying to watch on Netflix recently - they don't stand up well).  But once the characters found themselves, it might be a better entry into the world of Star Trek.

I didn't even put DS9 as an option, though I think it's the better series.  It's be hard to get into with no prior exposure to Star Trek.

Finally, I put the modern re-boot for the 'kids these days just can't understand classic sci-fi' vote.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

The Next Generation.  Even that will look sort of hokey to the kids of today, TOS is only for somebody who loves classic TV or is a Trek fan.  The reboot is fun but it is not really Star Trek in my book, it is more of an action series without all the philosophy and stuff that makes Star Trek Star Trek.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Reboot movies first.  Then , if their interest is piqued, the TOS movies, skipping the first one.  If they want more, pick out some select TOS shows.  Maybe the Goatees of Evil episode.

CountDeMoney

They're like, a little past toddlers and shit, right?  At that age, TOS should suit them just fine.  They haven't reached the age of Ideologue-esque pretentiousness over film.

Razgovory

Wasn't there a Star Trek Cartoon from the 1970's?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2013, 11:36:17 PM

There was.  It's so obscure *I've* never seen it though.  And I'd like to see it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2013, 11:39:08 PM

There was.  It's so obscure *I've* never seen it though.  And I'd like to see it.
Same here, I've heard it's actually pretty good.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2013, 11:39:08 PM

Netflix USA has it streaming, two seasons worth.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Yeah, the animated series had some decent episode story lines.  Fans would dig it.

fhdz

The original series + the first two movies are all that they need.
and the horse you rode in on

Syt

From what I've seen on SF Debris it seems to have a few interesting episodes, yes. Wasn't one even elevated to canon by Roddenberry?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

TOS was considered a kids' show in Germany (which explains the somewhat ironic dubbing in places, and also why "Amok Time" was re-edited for Germany to exclude sex references, and why "Patterns of Force" was not shown at all until the mid-90s), so I'd suggest starting with it, and perhaps some of the lighter/more cartoonish stories.

TNG is probably better when they're around 9-12, and DS9 (if they can make it through the first few not so exciting seasons) in their teens.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2013, 11:13:27 PM
So I have young boys, and I'd love to introduce them to the joys of Star Trek.  But unlike Tyr's thread, I think this is a much more difficult question when applied to Star Trek.

The Original Series is coming up on its 50th anniversary - that's positively ancient in pop culture.  A lot of TOS episodes really don't hold up very well either - hokey acting, hokey premises, and why does the future look so much like the 1960s?  But some of the best episodes... :wub:

Next Generation was pretty good too though.  I mean - the first season or two is a bit rough (been trying to watch on Netflix recently - they don't stand up well).  But once the characters found themselves, it might be a better entry into the world of Star Trek.

I didn't even put DS9 as an option, though I think it's the better series.  It's be hard to get into with no prior exposure to Star Trek.

Finally, I put the modern re-boot for the 'kids these days just can't understand classic sci-fi' vote.
TNG, but the Blu Ray releases, preferably.  They've been cleaned and had their special effects redone, so it looks better.

Forget about TOS, even the blu ray.  It holds value only for those who saw the original series.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Voyager.
Seriously. I loved voyager when I was a kid, its what got me into ST having first attempted TOS (terrible and dissapointing at the time, still meh) and TNG (terribly dull to me as a kid), I then steadily got into DS9 as that was shown when voyager was having an off-series.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2013, 11:50:50 PM
TOS was considered a kids' show in Germany (which explains the somewhat ironic dubbing in places, and also why "Amok Time" was re-edited for Germany to exclude sex references, and why "Patterns of Force" was not shown at all until the mid-90s), so I'd suggest starting with it, and perhaps some of the lighter/more cartoonish stories.

TNG is probably better when they're around 9-12, and DS9 (if they can make it through the first few not so exciting seasons) in their teens.

The whole second season of TOS is banned to people under 16 thanks to that.  :D
The German dub had some value as well, not only technical (dubbed in the '90s) ;)