Phantom train explosion in Lac Mégantic

Started by viper37, July 06, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Drakken

Now 5 people are confirmed dead, and over fourty people are still reported missing. Family members were asked to supplies DNA samples of the people still missing to make identification easier. Not good. :(

Cecil

Quote from: Drakken on July 07, 2013, 11:20:37 AM
Now 5 people are confirmed dead, and over fourty people are still reported missing. Family members were asked to supplies DNA samples of the people still missing to make identification easier. Not good. :(

Oh god damn. That image in my head....make it go away. :weep:

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Drakken

As of tonight the fire has been declared extinguished.

CountDeMoney

Saw that the library was a rather historic one, and everything was lost.  Damned shame.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on July 07, 2013, 07:43:45 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 07, 2013, 03:08:08 PM
A bunch of pictures:
http://www.spiq.ca/v2/ailleurs/2013_07_06_Lac-Megantic/index.html

Jesus Christ! Surely there are more than 5 people dead...  Entire houses were blown away!

G.
most likely, yes.  But we have to wait for the authorities to recover the bodies and notify the families... Right now, it's 40 people missing, most likely casualties. :(

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

How much of the bodies are gonna be left after a fire like that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Cecil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2013, 01:02:03 AM
How much of the bodies are gonna be left after a fire like that?

Hence the DNA quote. I´m happy that I never chose that particular line of work.

KRonn

Quote from: Drakken on July 07, 2013, 11:20:37 AM

:(

Grey Fox

I hope that people will learn from this & stop being against the damn pipeline.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

The company is sure not helping itself.  First, their web site is in english only.  Then they have press release in english only all over the week-end.  On Monday morning they use Google Translate for their press release.  Morons.

Sunday, a video surfaced on Youtube, showing a train from the same company, not far from the blast zone.  Train is stopped with all wagons , engine is running and the doors are unlocked...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOwPYr38A1c

viper37

We know a little more about the accident.

2hrs before the accident, the firemen from the next city were called to extinguish a fire in one of the locomotives.  A representative of the company was there and assured the firemen everything was ok, after which they left.  Then the MM&A guys left too, leaving the train unattended.  Shortly after, the air brakes were released and the train started moving by itself.

This is standard procedure apparently.

Wtf is that kind of standard procedure to leave such a train unattended after a fire???