News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The US Politics Thread

Started by Jacob, July 18, 2013, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

We shouldn't be too certain though. The Republicans have chosen to nominate mentals rather than pick up a number of easy senate seats in the last few elections. Their ability to self-harm shouldn't be underestimated.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 22, 2013, 06:01:06 PM
We shouldn't be too certain though. The Republicans have chosen to nominate mentals rather than pick up a number of easy senate seats in the last few elections. Their ability to self-harm shouldn't be underestimated.
It's not self-harm, it's the long game.  Is it self-harm to execute soldiers for disobeying orders?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on July 18, 2013, 03:01:15 PM
... because not every minor development needs a thread of its own.

Anyhow, 538 says it looks about 50-50 that the GOP will get a majority in the senate right now: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/senate-control-in-2014-increasingly-looks-like-a-tossup/

So, assuming a GOP majority in both the house and the senate, what could we expect to see for the next two years? Would the GOP push a bunch of hard right legislation and dare Obama to veto all of it?
While the geography looks good, the base will probably sabotage a winnable seat or two by nominating a wingnut that can't win.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point