News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Alternate Causes of Obesity

Started by jimmy olsen, July 03, 2013, 08:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on July 04, 2013, 01:26:38 AM
My exhaustive research Tim, has led me to believe you might be on to something here.

Shit, now google will be publicising us for an interesting in girls dolls, again instead of our sparkling whit and historical wisdom.   :mad:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on July 03, 2013, 08:15:48 PM
Seems like a "It's not my fault I'm fat."

QuoteThey are quick to assure us that 'science says' obesity is caused by individual choices about food and exercise.
true.  it's not my fault, it's my glands.  They react badly to greasy food, sugar and inactivity. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

As for viruses, bacteria, plastics (!), etc. - any (or none) may have some effect. The fact that so many alternatives have been proposed indicates that their effect, if any, is pretty minor compared with the obvious and observable effect that North Americans in particular are simply eating more than they ever have before.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on July 04, 2013, 09:06:02 AM
As for viruses, bacteria, plastics (!), etc. - any (or none) may have some effect. The fact that so many alternatives have been proposed indicates that their effect, if any, is pretty minor compared with the obvious and observable effect that North Americans in particular are simply eating more than they ever have before.
If it was that simple though, it would be easy to lose weight, and for most people it isn't. And there's the lab animals, that eat the same diets as ever and yet their weight has significantly increased.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Iormlund

It's a very interesting read, though it's hard not to think that many of those examples put forward might fit the correlation == causation fallacy. For example instead of a virus that makes you fat, being fat makes you vulnerable to contagion. Or drinking more sugary drinks more makes you not only fat but also pee higher concentrations of X, present in beverage containers.

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 04, 2013, 09:18:53 AM
If it was that simple though, it would be easy to lose weight, and for most people it isn't.

I don't think most people find it easy to eat less.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 04, 2013, 09:18:53 AM
If it was that simple though, it would be easy to lose weight, and for most people it isn't. And there's the lab animals, that eat the same diets as ever and yet their weight has significantly increased.

No. There is where you make your mistake. There is nothing "simple" or "easy" about changing your whole lifestyle to eat less and exercise more.  :lol: Some people can do it but most can't, because what you change is not simply "food choice", but a whole lifestyle. I know because I've done it. I've also quit smoking. What could be easier than simply "chosing" not to smoke, hmm? Is there some magic smoking fairy who literally *forces* folks to smoke? Perhaps some chemical in the enviromnent that *makes* people smoke? No, it is just very hard to stop doing it, because of the chemicals in the smoke itself, and their effect on the brain, and because not smoking involves tons of attitude and environmental changes - even up to choosing one's friends - that are very, very hard to make. Same with over eating.

The "animals is fat too" argument made in the article is incoherent. There can be no explanation that sensibly explains why animals, some of which live in tightly controlled environments and some of which are feral, show the same pattern of weight gain, as these animals have, literally, nothing in common - not environment, not food, nod diseases, not light levels, not temperature, nothing that the artcle cites as "alternatives" holds true for both lab and feral rats. This leads me to suspect that the evidence gathering here has been ... selective.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Legbiter

Malthus is on point.

The current journal of nutrional biochemistry has an interesting article bearing on this issue.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0955286313000545?np=y

Here's the abstract.

QuoteIn this review, we focus on lifestyle changes, especially dietary habits, that are at the basis of chronic systemic low grade inflammation, insulin resistance and Western diseases. Our sensitivity to develop insulin resistance traces back to our rapid brain growth in the past 2.5 million years. An inflammatory reaction jeopardizes the high glucose needs of our brain, causing various adaptations, including insulin resistance, functional reallocation of energy-rich nutrients and changing serum lipoprotein composition. The latter aims at redistribution of lipids, modulation of the immune reaction, and active inhibition of reverse cholesterol transport for damage repair. With the advent of the agricultural and industrial revolutions, we have introduced numerous false inflammatory triggers in our lifestyle, driving us to a state of chronic systemic low grade inflammation that eventually leads to typically Western diseases via an evolutionary conserved interaction between our immune system and metabolism. The underlying triggers are an abnormal dietary composition and microbial flora, insufficient physical activity and sleep, chronic stress and environmental pollution. The disturbance of our inflammatory/anti-inflammatory balance is illustrated by dietary fatty acids and antioxidants. The current decrease in years without chronic disease is rather due to "nurture" than "nature," since less than 5% of the typically Western diseases are primary attributable to genetic factors. Resolution of the conflict between environment and our ancient genome might be the only effective manner for "healthy aging," and to achieve this we might have to return to the lifestyle of the Paleolithic era as translated to the 21st century culture.

Here's a rather relevant quote as well:

Quote"Coherence between lifestyle factors, including the composition of our diet, is quite obvious from an evolutionary point of view. After all, there was first an environment, and from this environment originated a genome that was adapted to that environment: it is the substrate (environment) that selects the organism, not vice versa. This is exactly what Darwin meant with "conditions of existence," as the most important driving force in evolution. In other words, our only slowly changing genome is indissolubly linked to a certain environment and lifestyle. However, we have changed this environment since the agricultural revolution and continue to do so with still increasing haste. The resulting conflict does not generate acute toxicity, but acts as an assassin in the long term. Probably, the conflict does not exert much selection pressure either, because its associated mortality occurs mainly after reproductive age.

...to solve the conflict, it is virtually impossible to study all of the introduced errors in our lifestyle..."

^ Yet this is exactly what Western medicine tries to do, find all the errors induced from living a life outside of the environment to which we are adapted, and marketing a drug for it.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

And legbiter makes another paleo plug.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

I guess everyone needs some sort of religion. I wonder what mine is. :hmm:

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on July 04, 2013, 10:24:09 AM
I guess everyone needs some sort of religion. I wonder what mine is. :hmm:

Bitchiness isn't a religion!  :P

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on July 04, 2013, 10:17:50 AM
The new guy on the IT team at work is into that paleo stuff.  He has three of those Big Green Egg smokers at home and brings... meat to work every day for lunch.  Took him to a steakhouse in Chicago and all he ate was a bigass rare steak and a wedge salad, but he had them leave everything off the salad other than the lettuce and crumbled bacon. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Caliga on July 05, 2013, 01:49:15 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 04, 2013, 10:17:50 AM
The new guy on the IT team at work is into that paleo stuff.  He has three of those Big Green Egg smokers at home and brings... meat to work every day for lunch.  Took him to a steakhouse in Chicago and all he ate was a bigass rare steak and a wedge salad, but he had them leave everything off the salad other than the lettuce and crumbled bacon. :)

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I want to get a Green Egg. :(

Caliga

Me too.  My 'conventional' offset smoker is starting to rust out.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points