Are the Russians better off under Putin then they were under the Soviet Union?

Started by Razgovory, July 02, 2013, 06:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

The Russians aren't building new warships.  Very sad.  At least the Soviets would build something interesting now and again.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2013, 06:44:05 PM
It's definitely tough to live there.  Whenever I see home videos from there, people are getting into car accidents and/or fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGEiA80ZL08

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on July 04, 2013, 01:55:28 PM
The Russians aren't building new warships.  Very sad.  At least the Soviets would build something interesting now and again.

They're going in a different direction.  Not so much a blue water philosophy anymore as it is a concentration on very territorial-specific aims much closer to Russian territorial shores--where the natural resources are.

Their entire shipbuilding industry has only finally started to settle down; Putin's only beginning to get warmed up and they're concentrating on what they want to accomplish the most:  their nuclear deterrent with a new nuclear SSBN sub class, a new attack boat to replace the Akula so they can dance with the Virginia class, and their close-shore capabilities with a new corvette platform.

No, they're not interested in power projection past the GIUK gap anymore, and they're certainly not worried about carrier development, but they have some nifty albeit slowly-developing surface combat designs coming along.  The Admiral Gorshkov–class frigate looks like it could be a right nasty bastard to fuck with.  A very Russian design in typical "destroygate" hybridity:  SSM-heavy, with a concentration on ASW.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"