Roughing it in Australia- travel log from the shitty city of sydney

Started by Lettow77, July 02, 2013, 11:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

It is day 4. The wacky homeless dude next to me is twitching and mumbling "SAVE SAVE SAVE SAVE SAVE SAVE" and occasionally negative numbers. It is cool though, cause he is Korean.

I could have prevented all of this. That first day, through a rainy day in June, (a June which, conspiring against all decency, was in the depths of winter), I arrived in this unhallowed land. My aghast "reception" tried to defer me with speed (for I was an unenchanting figure, soaked and carrying my belongings on my back) to some hostel or another.

Hostels. They reek of foreigners. And so, most damningly, does the city of Sydney. As I warily peered at each person of unwelcome extraction, wondering from which immigrant my doom would spring, I at last arrived at the hostel that was promised, to find it was presided over by a sullen Aborigine. My spirit faltered, and I reluctantly aquiesced to stay there. I should have ran.

I was not long before I met my proposed roommate- a Belgian who was working himself to death in 80 hour weeks at some restaurant. My worst suspicions were confirmed; the hostel consumes men until they are nothing but bones for the Aboriginal to wield as tribal talismans. I took my flight.

Efforts to find a more permanent lodging were invariably full, even in this off season; My feet took me to places that billed themselves as backpackers' lodgings, but I found the claims to be filled with terrible truth. Jovial, crude backpackers loomed inside; some offensive dubstep emanated from within. I took my flight.

In the end, although I knew it to be wrong, I succumbed to a comfort I knew and understood. The Internet Cafe is a lofty institution, held to a glittering standard of civilization by the Japanese; within a proper Internet Cafe, manga line the walls, there are numerous drink machines where guests may endlessly draw from without charge, and great booths are erected to block light and provide the intimacy of a home for the man who finds himself staying there. A traveller could quickly learn to love the padded flooring, the pillows, and at times even the blankets distributed by the merciful and wonderfully professional staff of the Internet Cafe. With such an unblemished pedigree, could it be any wonder my heart longed to returned to such succor when tried and uncertain?

But Sydney does meet the base metrics of decency that would allow it to erect a proper internet cafe; indeed, convenience stores with three computers consigned to a corner might claim the prestigious title. There is but one I have found that approaches the Internet Cafe in truth, but it is as though through a scanner, darkly.

For it is run by Koreans.

Gone is any thought of booths, padding, or free drinks; Open-air computers and indifferent chairs are the rule of the day. Sizeable Australian cockroaches wander the floor, creating a sense of unease. In place of a generous and open larder, the Koreans ban any outside food or drink to ensure their ruinous prices are acceded to when their patrons finally sucumb to food and drink. (no doubt desperate for some sense of being alive and sensual stimulation after any length of time in this dismal place.) A bewildering variety of Southern country music, rap, K-pop and australian pop tunes plays on loop, calculated to please no one and assail any atmosphere of restfulness that threatens to manifest itself. The homeless and mentally ill seem to detect the negative energy of this place, for they periodically wander in- being, by all accounts, the only white men to do so.

Truly the rumors were true. The jealous and resentful Koreans, in seeking to emulate their betters, have birthed an abhorrent thing. And it is here I shall spend my evening, but it shall not wear me down. I shall return from this walkabout unbeaten, and once again take up a comfortable life in the fair city of Fukuoka.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Syt

My new colleague worked as a teacher in Sydney for a year and loved the city. (She was an English teacher in Japan before that.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

I've never stayed at a hostel & don't feel like I missed out on anything.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 02, 2013, 11:56:21 AM

I did it once and was not a fan.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also, Lettow sounds ridiculous. Complaining about foreigners when he is one...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2013, 12:03:16 PM

Yeah, my hostel experience was not a super awesome one either.
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on July 02, 2013, 12:06:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2013, 12:03:16 PM

Yeah, my hostel experience was not a super awesome one either.

I mean it was indeed cheap but I learned that lodging is something I'm willing to pay decently for. :)

Zanza

I stayed in hostels quite a bit. Never made bad experiences beyond what you must expect (snoring people, stinking people, poor maintenance etc.). You get what you pay for.

Liep

Quote from: Zanza on July 02, 2013, 12:11:49 PM
I stayed in hostels quite a bit. Never made bad experiences beyond what you must expect (snoring people, stinking people, poor maintenance etc.). You get what you pay for.

This, and once in a while you run into interesting people to share a beer or two with.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Lettow77

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2013, 12:04:43 PM
Also, Lettow sounds ridiculous. Complaining about foreigners when he is one...

尊皇攘夷
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

garbon

crazy canuck

As a young traveller staying in hostels is definitely the way to go.  Not only are they a cheap way to travel but you end up meeting alot of potential travelling companions, or at least pick up a lot of interesting ideas of where to go and what to see.

Tamas

Can you claim to be poor if you haven't slept in an Internet Café?