Previous topic - Next topic

Do you or don't you?

God, Baby Jesus and Elvis would want me to do The Right Thing, turn it in
11 (37.9%)
Chase label on the bag?  Oh hells no
18 (62.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 02:38:04 PMPerhaps.  But far more common occurrence is:

Have serious drug addiction.

Don't have any money for drugs.

Defraud the bank because although you know they'll catch you, it gets you drugs for that weekend, and that's more important right now.

For sure it's a common scam; I don't doubt it. But that's exactly why the other thing works so well; it fits so well with the standard narrative that authority figures - like yourself - readily dismiss it.

It happened to a friend of mine, and he's not a drug addict, and he did not need short term cash for anything. He is just your kind of guy actually, small business owner, fairly conservative, likes oil companies and also the wilderness.

In fact, it would make no sense for him to do it because the money that he got hit for, while significant, was much less than what he could have legitimately gotten if he'd gone to the bank and accessed his line of credit (which the bank shut down as a result, freezing all his other assets as well, and causing serious trouble for his business).

lustindarkness

I would return it, I know for a fact it is not mine, it would be stealing to keep it. :( Yeah, I would return it. Most of it at least.
Besides, with my luck there are hidden cameras and it would be some tv show trying to see if people are honest. :D
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2013, 07:40:12 AM
Is it breaking a law to keep it?

Serious question.

Over here, I think it's 'called' something like 'theft by finding'?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Keep it.  Hide it.  Like GF, use it for groceries and local entertainment, and possibly start making a deposit of $100 every month starting six months later, if feasible.

I think I'd probably be able to do money orders to pay rent, but I'd have to look into how often and how large amounts you can use without being assumed to be funnelling money to terrorists.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Then again, is $20k a large enough amount to call Saul?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Camerus

I'd turn it into the police or else just leave it there.

Josquius

Keep it.
The only concern is I'll be chased by the authorities/gangsters who lost it.
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2013, 09:27:11 AM
Don't ever use those non-bank ATMs you find in shitty convenience stores or standing next to Cal in gas stations.  They're not subject to the same internal controls on privacy as banks are with the Bank Secrecy Act, and they are very popular with the Russian mob.
Good to know. There's one in a coffee shop/gas station I go to, and I used it a couple of times but never felt comfortable about it and decided not to use it again anyway.

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 01:54:06 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 20, 2013, 01:51:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 09:25:05 AM
Most commonly it's people using stolen bank cards.  Rarely there's a robbery or the like.

The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. Who the hell doesn't know there are cameras at ATMs?

Stupid and/or desperate.

Another common ploy is for someone to use an ATM to "desposit", say, a $1000 cheque into their account, when in fact the envelope they put in the machine is empty.  I mean - it's their own account!  Of course they're going to get caught.  But people still do it...

I know of a woman who had been working at a bank for 30 years and was surely making over €50k (that's 4 times median salary). She used the card of a customer to draw 500 € from the ATM at her branch ...

Pedrito

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2013, 08:28:46 AM
If I spot a 100 SEK bill on the ground I don't turn it in. I don't pick it up either.

Heh. Just a couple days ago I found a 10€ bill on the ground.
Not only I picked it up, but it considerably lifted my morale for the day.

Am I: UNCLE SCROOGE?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: