Today's "Let's See How We Can Fuck Over the American Worker" Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, June 30, 2013, 05:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on June 30, 2013, 06:14:53 PM
I love reporting like this:

QuoteProblems arise, though, when employers mandate the use of prepaid cards. In 25 states, employers are allowed to forgo paper checks and offer direct deposit or payroll cards; in the remaining states, regulations are less clear and employers are taking a risk by not offering a paper-check option, too, according to research by Madeline K. Aufseeser, an analyst at Aite. It is unclear how many employers offer payroll cards.

They state "empoyers mandate..." then go on the say that they...cannot mandate their use. Awesome.

I've had direct deposit since the Army stopped the payroll officer shit in '84 or '85. I thought that was the standard unless you were working "under the table". Strange.

Granted I only ever had one moonlight job while in the Army. Since retiring in 2004 Ive work at only three places, including the current job IIRC. Direct deposit was the only option.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on June 30, 2013, 07:06:43 PM

QuoteProblems arise, though, when employers mandate the use of prepaid cards. In 25 states, employers are allowed to forgo paper checks and offer direct deposit or payroll cards; in the remaining states, regulations are less clear and employers are taking a risk by not offering a paper-check option, too, according to research by Madeline K. Aufseeser, an analyst at Aite. It is unclear how many employers offer payroll cards.

They state "empoyers mandate..." then go on the say that they...cannot mandate their use. Awesome.

I've had direct deposit since the Army stopped the payroll officer shit in '84 or '85. I thought that was the standard unless you were working "under the table". Strange.

I went to the bank with a friend after work, she's a temp, and I was surprised by the number of office worker looking types who appeared to be depositing paychecks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2013, 06:56:39 PM
:lol: I'm not telling anyone what to do with their money.  If some idiot wants to get a pay card instead of writing down two numbers to set up direct deposit, then wants to print out five statements a month and withdraw $10 a time from an ATM that charges a fee because the one that doesn't charge a fee is "not convenient," I say more power to him.  Knock yourself out.

Hey, you're the one that called them boneheads too lazy or stupid to sign up for direct deposit.  But not all employers are giving them the option to do so; debit cards only.  Not all of these employers allow direct deposit into the bank of the employee's choice, as referenced by employee with the credit union account.  But no, they're too lazy or stupid to sign up for direct deposit, which in your universe they're required to have. That makes you telling them what to do with their money.

QuoteYou're the one that's full to the brim with shit.

Am not.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2013, 07:08:36 PM

I went to the bank with a friend after work, she's a temp, and I was surprised by the number of office worker looking types who appeared to be depositing paychecks.

Wow.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Granted I only ever had one moonlight job while in the Army. Since retiring in 2004 Ive work at only three places, including the current job IIRC. Direct deposit was the only option.

I've noticed in my experience with trolling usajobs.gov that's been the SOP for most GS federal positions for quite some time.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 30, 2013, 07:09:39 PM

Wow.

Holy Not Everybody Else In The World Lives Like You, Batman.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2013, 07:14:43 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 30, 2013, 07:09:39 PM

Wow.

Holy Not Everybody Else In The World Lives Like You, Batman.

I'm not sure why an office worker (particularly one in NYC) would forego direct deposit.../perhaps even a bank account as most banks are going to charge a checking account if you don't have direct deposit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2013, 07:09:08 PM
Hey, you're the one that called them boneheads too lazy or stupid to sign up for direct deposit.  But not all employers are giving them the option to do so; debit cards only.  Not all of these employers allow direct deposit into the bank of the employee's choice, as referenced by employee with the credit union account.  But no, they're too lazy or stupid to sign up for direct deposit, which in your universe they're required to have. That makes you telling them what to do with their money.

Natalie Gunshannon of Dallas PA had what looks to be a raw deal and was right to walk away from that job.  Though in a perplexing omission by the otherwise stalwart authors of this article the withdrawal fee for that particular card was not mentioned.

Now how exactly am I telling her what to do with her money?

QuoteAm not.

Absolutely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2013, 07:16:14 PM
I'm not sure why an office worker (particularly one in NYC) would forego direct deposit.../perhaps even a bank account as most banks are going to charge a checking account if you don't have direct deposit.

Not all employers offers direct deposit alternatives.  Hell, years ago, a massive payroll service like ADP didn't even offer it at all.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2013, 07:21:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2013, 07:16:14 PM

Not all employers offers direct deposit alternatives.  Hell, years ago, a massive payroll service like ADP didn't even offer it at all.

Yes I bet that's what accounts for it, in Manhattan offices in 2013. :rolleyes:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2013, 07:16:38 PM

Nice dodge, but it's not going to work.  Everybody has to have bank accounts, or they're boneheads.

QuoteAbsolutely.

Not.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2013, 07:30:30 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2013, 07:16:38 PM

Nice dodge, but it's not going to work.  Everybody has to have bank accounts, or they're boneheads.

Generally, that's probably true.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2013, 07:30:30 PM

As I said, people are totally free to opt for pay cards and be boneheads.  Being a bonehead is a God-given right.

QuoteNot.

Too.

DontSayBanana

The only use case where the gripe is valid is (only shortly mentioned once) when the payroll card is forced and direct deposit is not an option.  The article doesn't give any actual statistics on how frequently that occurs, and it doesn't seem like that's a common way for an employer to handle payroll.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2013, 07:27:31 PM
Yes I bet that's what accounts for it, in Manhattan offices in 2013. :rolleyes:

Really, you know the ins-and-outs of all the payroll departments for all of Manhattan?  You know precisely which individuals are paid on a per diem or temporary schedule, which could preclude direct deposit, or those individuals that need to make multiple transactions or deposits off their net pay that day?  Or which companies are so small the boss' wife is the one printing out the checks on the hand-fed laser printer that morning? 

Direct deposit is not a uniform practice across all employers, and not all employees are full-timers.  Even in Center of the Universe Manhattan.