RCMP seize all unsecured guns in Alberta town

Started by Barrister, June 28, 2013, 03:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/pmo-says-the-rcmp-should-have-better-things-to-do-than-seize-guns/article12882952/

Here's the executive summary - southern Alberta is flooding.  Perhaps worst hit is the town of High River, Alberta, where all occupants have been ordered to evacuate the town.  Police have also been entering homes to ensure that no one is present or in need of assistance.

It's also come out that when they entered these temporarily abandoned homes, they would seize any and all unsecured guns.

RCMP have said it was only for security, and that guns will be returned to their proper owners, but some are quite upset at this.

What say you Languish?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PRC

How extensive was the search through the homes to find the guns?  Sure if they opened the front door, stuck their head in and yelled "Hallo" to see if anyone was home and they saw a rifle on the shelf just inside the front door then taking that is one thing.  Going through closets under the excuse of looking for people present or in need of assistance and taking a gun not locked up but well hidden... that's disconcerting.

HVC

Is there a law to have secured guns in Alberta? If so keep the guns. If not return em
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 28, 2013, 03:17:08 PM
Is there a law to have secured guns in Alberta? If so keep the guns. If not return em

It's the law across Canada.  Though I think they might cut people some slack when they're hurridly rushing out of their houses in advance of a flood.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Why not just tell the people to take their guns with them when they evac? They know where they are, and no searching would be necessary.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 28, 2013, 03:27:14 PM
Why not just tell the people to take their guns with them when they evac? They know where they are, and no searching would be necessary.

Because they told people to take as few items as possible.  There wasn't a lot of time.

HVC

a hoard of Scared and  stressed  armed people. That would turn out well :D

Fucking phone

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Is the town secure or is there a chance of looting.  If there is a chance of looting and guns are in plain sight then fine.  If not - not.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 28, 2013, 03:33:22 PM
a hoard of Scared and  stressed  armed people. That would turn out well :D

And of course some of the residents of High River are starting to complain they haven't been let back into town yet.  There was even a confrontation with police.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on June 28, 2013, 03:02:46 PM
RCMP have said it was only for security, and that guns will be returned to their proper owners

So what is the objection?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 28, 2013, 03:35:43 PM
RCMP have said it was only for security, and that guns will be returned to their proper owners

That police went into private homes and seized private property.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 28, 2013, 03:35:43 PM

The extent of the devastation is extreme.  This isnt merely a flood.  There are a lot of things the RCMP could be doing right now that doesnt entail all the work necessary to collect, store and return these guns.   I think it boils down to an efficient use of resources during this time of emergency.