And we're back!

Main Menu

US Immigration Bill

Started by Jacob, June 28, 2013, 02:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will immigration reform pass?

A pretty substantial immigration bill will be passed and signed
2 (28.6%)
Some sort of immigration bill will be passed, but it will be essentially gutted and meaningless; more a matter of optics than substance.
5 (71.4%)
There will be no immigration bill. If the house doesn't kill it dead, something else will.
0 (0%)
Some other option
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Jacob

So the US immigration bill passed the Senate. What happens next? What do you think?

derspiess

YES!!!  We needed another Jake thread on stuff that's none of his business!

j/k Jakie.  Much love :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

What's this fascination with US matters?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

If the Democrats put a fence and amnesty in the same bill I think there's about a 60% chance of passage.

Not much media coverage of the various proposals on buying into amnesty.  Personally I think the 2 (4?) years of college in Obama's I've Got a Dream Act are ridiculous.  And no clue what older illegals are supposed to do to qualify.

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on June 28, 2013, 03:01:32 PM
Marty's gone, someone's gotta pick up the slack.

Seriously, jakes threads seem like genuine curiosity rather then snide butch threads a la Marty.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Jake is a Canadian software guy so he may have a legit personal interest in US immigration regs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

They take up a lot of space on the parts of the internet I frequent, US matters inform a lot of popular culture that I interact with; it's a whole lot more interesting than most TV shows, and the characters and issues are more vivid.

Also, there are more Americans on languish than any other nationality, so more people will have an interesting perspective to offer. Canadian politics generate less conversation, Swedish politics even less.

derspiess

And you luuuuuuv any chance to vilify the American right :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2013, 03:46:59 PM

It is a target rich enviornment.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2013, 03:46:59 PM

Everybody loves a good villain :)

Well... I'll definitely cop to having a more leftwing bent than the American right, but I also appreciate the chance to actually understand the reasoning behind some of the positions the US right takes.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2013, 03:50:36 PM
Well... I'll definitely cop to having a more leftwing bent than the American right, but I also appreciate the chance to actually understand the reasoning behind some of the positions the US right takes.

I'd say you have a more leftwing bent than the American left, but nobody's perfect ;)

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2013, 03:52:25 PM
I'd say you have a more leftwing bent than the American left, but nobody's perfect ;)

:hug:

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2013, 03:45:10 PM

They take up a lot of space on the parts of the internet I frequent, US matters inform a lot of popular culture that I interact with; it's a whole lot more interesting than most TV shows, and the characters and issues are more vivid.

Also, there are more Americans on languish than any other nationality, so more people will have an interesting perspective to offer. Canadian politics generate less conversation, Swedish politics even less.

Considering that Hortense is in Swedish politics it's just as well.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.