News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Literacy Test

Started by Jacob, June 28, 2013, 01:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

That test looks like a serious pain in the ass.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Question 1 is too confusing. What number or letter do they want to draw a line around?
And isn't a line around something a circle?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on June 28, 2013, 02:13:14 PM
Question 1 is too confusing. What number or letter do they want to draw a line around?

The number 1.  But they don't want to give away that it's a number, I guess.

QuoteAnd isn't a line around something a circle?

Yep, but I've seen it worded that way in other places.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2013, 01:26:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 28, 2013, 01:21:39 PM
How many people passed?

I don't have those stats, but my impression of the situation in 1964 Louisiana is "not many". Coincidentally, I also believe that a significantly larger proportion of black people were unable to prove a gr. 5 education compared to the white population.

Whites were grandfathered in, so only blacks and possibly outsiders had to take the test.  Typically less then 10% could pass the test.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2013, 02:15:15 PM

QuoteAnd isn't a line around something a circle?

Yep, but I've seen it worded that way in other places.

I don't get the trick of draw a line (circle) around the number or the letter because since it is an "or" why not just opt for the part that you can clearly do which is circle that number (though as Siege said you have to get your head around the idea of draw a line around something. :D).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

The last question (?) appears to be missing at least one word.  I would question whether the people who wrote the test got through the 5th grade.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 28, 2013, 03:30:28 PM
The last question (?) appears to be missing at least one word.  I would question whether the people who wrote the test got through the 5th grade.

:thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Kleves

I would be very suprised if more than 10% of the population could pass this test today.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Josephus

No. That's what's so confusing. The first line reads something like:

1. Draw a line around the number or letter in this sentence.

The "1." is not in that sentence.

I think the answer is "a"
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2013, 03:04:53 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2013, 01:26:55 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 28, 2013, 01:21:39 PM
How many people passed?

I don't have those stats, but my impression of the situation in 1964 Louisiana is "not many". Coincidentally, I also believe that a significantly larger proportion of black people were unable to prove a gr. 5 education compared to the white population.

Whites were grandfathered in, so only blacks and possibly outsiders had to take the test.  Typically less then 10% could pass the test.

I'm going to take a guess here: no one really passed the test. There were a very few respected black people that were allowed to vote. They "passed" the test. The rest "failed". The answers actually given were probably not so relevant.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Camerus

Given the purpose of the test, it's not really a surprise that its questions are sometimes written to be as vague and confusing as possible.

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on June 28, 2013, 06:45:02 PM

Another possible answer is to observe that "the number" has the definite article and "letter" has the indefinite article. So any letter will do since 1. is no in the sentence.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

Or you're supposed to draw a line around "the letter" or "number" in the sentence.  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on June 29, 2013, 01:47:03 AM
Or you're supposed to draw a line around "the letter" or "number" in the sentence.  :hmm:
Pipped me to it, that's the way I'm meaning now, around either one of those words.
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Josephus on June 28, 2013, 06:45:02 PM

That's because you apparantly can't read.  It doens't say "in this sentence", it says "of this sentence".  "1" is clearly the number of the sentence.  FAIL.

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos

Given the purpose of the test, it's not really a surprise that its questions are sometimes written to be as vague and confusing as possible.

True, but most of them are fairly easy if you parse them correctly.  I don't think there's anyway anyone could have actually read them carefully enough in the time allotted to pass, though.  It was probably pretty much as AR suggested.