News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Literacy Test

Started by Jacob, June 28, 2013, 01:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Just for fun, here's a 1964 literacy test for being able to vote in Louisiana. You have 10 minutes to complete it; a single incorrect answer means you fail. In case of doubt, the registrar will decide whether you pass or fail:

garbon

What does number 1 mean?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2013, 01:17:17 PM
What does number 1 mean?

It means that you don't get to vote unless the registrar decides you guessed right in the 1/3rd of a minute you have to answer the question.

And yeah, I don't know. I'd probably circle the 1.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2013, 01:17:17 PM
What does number 1 mean?

Pray that Stanford counts as fifth grade education.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 28, 2013, 01:21:39 PM
How many people passed?

I don't have those stats, but my impression of the situation in 1964 Louisiana is "not many". Coincidentally, I also believe that a significantly larger proportion of black people were unable to prove a gr. 5 education compared to the white population.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2013, 01:26:55 PM
How many people passed?

I don't have those stats, but my impression of the situation in 1964 Louisiana is "not many". Coincidentally, I also believe that a significantly larger proportion of black people were unable to prove a gr. 5 education compared to the white population.

And most of those white people were probably Cajun, who were only viewed as being a slight step better.

CountDeMoney

Any negroes that passed moved on to the Jelly Bean jar portion of the exam.

Josephus

Yeah, I'm having a hard time getting past the first one. :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 28, 2013, 01:32:19 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2013, 01:26:55 PM
How many people passed?

And most of those white people were probably Cajun, who were only viewed as being a slight step better.

Took me a while to realize "coonass" actually meant Cajun.