News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wrapping up the IRS scandal

Started by Jacob, June 27, 2013, 05:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

The dreaded Yi ignore the cameras filming him and instead focuses on his prey.  This will not be pretty, but it is all part of the cycle of nature.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2013, 09:45:56 PM
You were the one agreeing with the facts in the article.  Do you now have a problem with it?

I have no problem with the facts in the article.

Now seriously, what in the world does that portion of text have to do with anything?

Admiral Yi

I can't concentrate with all this kibbitzing!  :lol:

Razgovory

That if House Republicans only asked for evidence of audits on conservative groups, then used that information that there was some sort of targeting the only evidence of targeting is of the IG only looking for evidence of audits of conservatives.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Neither can Raz.  :mad:

That sentence needs a little brushing up dude.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2013, 09:54:24 PM
Neither can Raz.  :mad:

That sentence needs a little brushing up dude.

House Republicans asking the IG to only provide audits on Conservative groups is blatant cherry picking.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Raz, you're becoming Razzy again tonight.  Go relax for a while, have a bowl of cereal or something.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2013, 09:59:43 PM
Raz, you're becoming Razzy again tonight.  Go relax for a while, have a bowl of cereal or something.

I'm trying to juggle two things at once.  Trying to figure out what Yi wants and at the same time trying to break though 11B4whateverthefuck "Just cause" logic.

PDH

The bewildered Raz, confused by the terrain, is now easy prey for either attacker.  Who will strike first?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2013, 09:59:25 PM
House Republicans asking the IG to only provide audits on Conservative groups is blatant cherry picking.

As I stated earlier, you seem to be operating under the assumption that the IG came to conclusion that the IRS was targetting TP types because:

a) they asked only for TP audits
b) they looked through the audits, saw only TP audits
c) and from that concluded the IRS was disproportionately targetting TP.

What I didn't state before is not even a 2 year old thinks like this.  Not even a 2 year old goes to the ice cream store, looks at all the flavors in the display, asks for a scoop of chocolate, then asks his dad why the store only has chocolate ice cream.

The original charge of targeting TP came not from the imaginary portion of the report written by a 2 year old with Down's Syndrome, but from the part of the report that discussed the confessions of middle managers in the Cleveland office of the IRS that they were in fact specifically targeting TP groups for extra scrutiny.

Jacob

Yeah, the blog post says the facts are:

Republicans ask the IG to investigate IRS targeting of conservative groups.

The IRS also targets liberal groups in equal measure, but the IG does not investigate that either because the Republicans didn't ask them to, or for some other reason.

Republicans see the IG report focusing solely on IRS investigations of Conservative groups; since there are no liberal groups being investigated in the report they see this as proof the the IRS is being used as a partisan weapon focusing solely on Conservatives. This drives the "scandal" for quite a while.

During the investigation, the IG guy fails to mention any instances of investigations of liberal groups - even though they exist aplenty, and even though the whole point of the hearings were the allegations that the IRS only investigated conservative groups and didn't investigate liberal ones.

There was no basis to the scandal except selective picking of facts either generated deliberately or due to echo chamber incompetence. There is some finger pointing between the Republicans and the IG.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2013, 10:14:40 PM
As I stated earlier, you seem to be operating under the assumption that the IG came to conclusion that the IRS was targetting TP types because:

a) they asked only for TP audits
b) they looked through the audits, saw only TP audits
c) and from that concluded the IRS was disproportionately targetting TP.

What I didn't state before is not even a 2 year old thinks like this.  Not even a 2 year old goes to the ice cream store, looks at all the flavors in the display, asks for a scoop of chocolate, then asks his dad why the store only has chocolate ice cream.

The original charge of targeting TP came not from the imaginary portion of the report written by a 2 year old with Down's Syndrome, but from the part of the report that discussed the confessions of middle managers in the Cleveland office of the IRS that they were in fact specifically targeting TP groups for extra scrutiny.

So your argument against the the article in the OP is that no one would be that stupid? And to claim so is purely spin?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2013, 10:23:22 PM
So your argument against the the article in the OP is that no one would be that stupid? And to claim so is purely spin?

I feel sort of like I'm repeating myself.

I have many arguments against the OP.

The author asserts progressive groups were equally targeted but doesn't substantiate it.

The author claims that the request by the IG to only look at TP audits is earth shattering, whereas the original charge that the IRS was targetting TP was based on statements by IRS staffers that they were targetting TP groups.  It's theoretically possible that in addition to these statements, the conclusion was reinforced by the insight of the 2 year old Down's Syndrome staffers of the IG that since the only audits the IRS had given them, after they had asked to only look at TP audits, were in fact only TP audits, that TP groups must have been disproportionately targeted.  I say theoretically because I've never read anything like that.

BTW, how many threads have you started now about the utterly final and complete end of the IRS scandal?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2013, 10:20:44 PM
There was no basis to the scandal except selective picking of facts either generated deliberately or due to echo chamber incompetence.

It's Dan Issa's style.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2013, 10:50:35 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2013, 10:20:44 PM
There was no basis to the scandal except selective picking of facts either generated deliberately or due to echo chamber incompetence.

It's Dan Issa's style.

So is stealing cars and lighting fires.