And we're back!

Main Menu

NBA Thread

Started by crazy canuck, June 27, 2013, 10:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Can a drone attack be far off?

Ed Anger

They'll spot him in a rickshaw convoy one of these days.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2015, 10:49:37 AM

The highest percentage of team points isn't a meaningful stat until you put it into context.  If he is missing a lot of shots and not effectively distributing the ball another name for that is ballhog.

At the risk of defending Timmay, his shot percentage was in line with the rest of his team's during the finals. In 3 games it was higher, in 3 games it was lower. He had more assists than any player for either team.

The performance of the Cavs when he wasn't on the floor was awful.

If your teammates are shooting at a low percentage, you should start taking marginal shots. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

How much of Cleveland's cap does The Bron take up, like 80%?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 17, 2015, 02:18:09 PM
How much of Cleveland's cap does The Bron take up, like 80%?

No, 32% of a 63.065 millions salary cap.

However, the NBA has a softcap. The luxury tax kicked at 71 millions in 2014/15
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on June 17, 2015, 02:15:57 PM
At the risk of defending Timmay, his shot percentage was in line with the rest of his team's during the finals.

So you're saying that since he shot about as well as (mostly) bench players he's okay?  He's supposed to be much, much better.  That said, there is only so much even a LeBron can do all by himself.  This team was sunk after they lost both Love and Irving. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on June 17, 2015, 02:59:20 PM

So you're saying that since he shot about as well as (mostly) bench players he's okay?  He's supposed to be much, much better. 

I'm saying if he has a 25% chance of making a shot, and the other guys on the team have a 24% chance of making a bucket if he passes the ball, he should take the shot.

He was in fact much much better than the guys he was playing with. Had any of those guys had to cope with the workload Lebron did plus had the defense focus on them the way they did on Lebron, the results would have been a joke.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30700&ATCLID=210154438

Four UA Alums Help Warriors Claim NBA Title

CLEVELAND – The Golden State Warriors won their first NBA championship in four decades on Tuesday, and the victory featured a distinct Arizona basketball influence.

With head coach Steve Kerr and assistant coaches Luke Walton and Bruce Fraser orchestrating things from the bench, Andre Iguodala proved to be one of the series' pivotal players with his defensive effort on Cavaliers forward LeBron James and his clutch baskets on the offensive end of the floor.

Iguodala was named the winner of the Bill Russell NBA Finals Most Valuable Player Award after averaging better than 14 points, five rebounds and three assists per game against Cleveland, helping Kerr, Walton and Fraser lead the franchise to its fourth world championship and third NBA title. Golden State won the Basketball Association of America (the forerunner to the NBA) championship in 1947, and hoisted NBA championship banners in 1956 and 1975.

He is the first Arizona basketball alum to earn NBA Finals MVP honors, and the first player ever to be named MVP of the NBA Finals after not starting every game of the series.

With Iguodala earning his first ring on Tuesday night, Arizona players have now won 14 NBA championships as players since 1996, when Kerr and Jud Buechler were members of the championship-winning Chicago Bulls.

For Kerr, this year's victory represented his sixth total NBA title, adding on to the five he won as a player. He is the first rookie head coach to win the league crown since Pat Riley in 1982.

"They were all in it, just to win. This is an amazing group of guys," Kerr said after the game on ABC while mentioning the impact he felt from legendary former UA coach Lute Olson. "I was blessed with an unbelievable group of guys in my first year. I can't believe how lucky I am."

Walton's ring is his third, as he won back-to-back championships with the Los Angeles Lakers in 2009 and 2010, while the championship is the first for Fraser.

Igoudala denies LeBron. What could be a better story?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 17, 2015, 10:38:41 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2015, 10:24:21 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 17, 2015, 09:55:18 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 10, 2015, 07:05:06 PM
You said he is finally taking control of the game.  That means he'll totally lose control tomorrow night and it will be your fault.  And when Cleveland has lost the series 4-2 I will drive up to Akron and tell him it's all your fault.
:rolleyes:
Could he possibly played better?

Yes.

PPG 35.8 APG 8.8 RPG 13.3
First player in history to lead the Finals in all three stats. No he couldn't have played better, and MJ and Magic couldn't have either.

Without LeBron James on the floor this series.
JR Smith 0/9
Delly 0/7 
J. Jones 0/3
Shumpert 0/2
Total 0/21 FG

Highest Pct of Team Points Finals History.
1993 Michael Jordan 38.4%
2015 LeBron James 38.3%

Tim, if you are going to cut and paste from elsewhere, normally it is considered good form to actually quote your source, rather than imply you came up with the take yourself.

Jordan overall for the NBA finals shot 48% from the field.

LeBron shot less than 40%.

Jordan hit 80% of his free throws in the finals, LeBron hits at 68%.

James is the best player today, but he has a ways to go before he is ready to fill Jordan's shoes when it comes to performance in the NBA Finals.

0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Jordan had Scottie Pippen on the floor with him in those finals. Who did Lebron have here that the Warriors had to respect? No one.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 17, 2015, 05:41:14 PM
Jordan had Scottie Pippen on the floor with him in those finals. Who did Lebron have here that the Warriors had to respect? No one.

So?

That doesn't make him the equal of Jordan, any more than it makes all the other players on the floor without  Pippen the equal of Jordan.

James is one of many great NBA players. He is not one of THE great NBA players...not yet.

0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

His style is nothing like Jordan's,  he's better compared to Magic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 17, 2015, 05:54:20 PM

Then don't compare him to Jordan.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on June 17, 2015, 02:15:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2015, 10:49:37 AM

The highest percentage of team points isn't a meaningful stat until you put it into context.  If he is missing a lot of shots and not effectively distributing the ball another name for that is ballhog.

At the risk of defending Timmay, his shot percentage was in line with the rest of his team's during the finals. In 3 games it was higher, in 3 games it was lower. He had more assists than any player for either team.

The performance of the Cavs when he wasn't on the floor was awful.

If your teammates are shooting at a low percentage, you should start taking marginal shots.

The reason the rest of Cleveland shot a low percentage is because it is an offence build around Lebron.  The rest of the team got very few easy shots because the offence wasn't set up to do that.  Compare that with an offence like GS which is designed to get open shots for a number of players.  So if an offence is built around the concept of getting a good shot for one guy that one guy better score the bulk of the points with a good percentage (which is why the total percentage of points is meaningless in this context) and since he has the ball in his hands so much one would hope that he is able to pass out to an open player for an assist more than anyone else.

I disagree with your last point.  It is that mentality that is the reason Lebron has only won 2 out of six trips to the finals.  When Jordan started to share the ball he started winning - 6 for 6.

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 17, 2015, 05:54:20 PM

:huh:

Magic was a true point guard who could also play a true post position.  There has never been another magic.  Lebron can dribble the ball up the court but he isn't a point guard.  Lebron can post up a smaller player or equal sized players but he doesn't post up a rim defender.

Did you ever see Magic play?