News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

U.S. consumer confidence soared in May

Started by jimmy olsen, May 26, 2009, 12:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I am still holding out hope that the US will sink into deflation.  Japan also set interest rates at almost zero and used quantitative easing, but that didn't help them avoid it. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: saskganesh on May 26, 2009, 10:00:59 PM
job losses are still happening; now the car dealer closures will have ripple effects in the next quarter and beyond. I see a retail hit coming, as too many stores for not enough customers. the malls near lots especially.

lots of bargain real estate around now due to closures. not the kind of real estate recovery people want to hear.
Yeah I find it weird at the minute.  I go out on a Tuesday night and all the restaurants I see are packed.  I've got a phoney war feeling about this at the minute.  The real change for people and governments hasn't come yet.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2009, 10:35:59 PM

Yeah I find it weird at the minute.  I go out on a Tuesday night and all the restaurants I see are packed.  I've got a phoney war feeling about this at the minute.  The real change for people and governments hasn't come yet.

Yeah it is similar in Hong Kong.  Restaurants and malls are still packed, the stockmarket and real estate markets are enjoying strong rallies, and unemployment is managable (5% or so). 

At least here, I think the recession is very sector specific - banking and import and export trading are very badly hurt.  Everybody else is doing fine. 

Habsburg

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2009, 10:35:59 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 26, 2009, 10:00:59 PM
job losses are still happening; now the car dealer closures will have ripple effects in the next quarter and beyond. I see a retail hit coming, as too many stores for not enough customers. the malls near lots especially.

lots of bargain real estate around now due to closures. not the kind of real estate recovery people want to hear.

Indeed.  Watching for coming resets of prime and commericals loans.  Several folks think the financial are 35-50% through their losses.  Their calls on CNBC and Bloomberg seem well thought and argued, most warned of the present problems.

Then there those in the Larry Kudrow "green shoots are here!" crowd.

Then everyone in between.  :unsure:

Crazy_Ivan80

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on May 26, 2009, 10:29:02 PM
I am still holding out hope that the US will sink into deflation. 
Why would you hope for that?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 27, 2009, 10:35:20 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 26, 2009, 10:29:02 PM
I am still holding out hope that the US will sink into deflation. 
Why would you hope for that?

I am a civil servant.  My job is basically secure.  I am one of the few groups that will benefit from a prolonged recession and deflationary spiral - from falling prices, increased purchasing power, cheap assets etc. 

Martinus