News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Supreme Court strikes down DOMA

Started by Kleves, June 26, 2013, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

The Court holds (5-4 of course) that: DOMA is unconstitutional as a deprivation of the equal liberty of persons that is protected by the Fifth Amendment. The Court ruled that it didn't have jurisdiction in the Prop 8 case.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

So the leaderboard so far this week: Fags 1, Negroes 0.  Yay.

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2013, 09:13:21 AM
So the leaderboard so far this week: Fags 1, Negroes 0.  Yay.
MAH WHITE GUILT
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Kleves on June 26, 2013, 09:11:23 AM
The Court holds (5-4 of course) that: DOMA is unconstitutional as a deprivation of the equal liberty of persons that is protected by the Fifth Amendment. The Court ruled that it didn't have jurisdiction in the Prop 8 case.

Who voted which way?

DGuller

It really makes you feel good about the robustness of this country's democratic system when one person's success or failure at dying at the right moment decides some pretty fundamental questions.

Scipio

Big week for conventional wisdom of SCOTUS watchers.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Kleves

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2013, 09:14:16 AM
Who voted which way?
Majority: Kennedy, the liberals. Dissent: the conservatives (who thought that the Court lacked jurisdiction, or, if it had jurisdiction, was overreaching).
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Kleves

Interestingly, the decision to dismiss the Prop 8 case for lack of standing was also 5-4, but with a strange line-up. Majority is Roberts with Scalia, Ginsburg, Breyer, and Kagan. Dissent is Kennedy, Thomas, Alito, and Sotomayor. That's the first time I have ever seen Kagan and Sotomayor on opposite sides of an opinion.

Admiral Yi

Declining to hear Prop 8 means the California SC decision to overturn stands, right?  Or do I have it backwards?

Scipio

You know, I think that Obama is really smart, but damn, does he have some shitty litigators working for him.  According to Scalia's dissent, the government's appeal brief took a non-adversarial position?  What idiocy.  That's the definition of no case or controversy.

They should have filed a pro-forma defense of DOMA, to deprive Scalia of that basis for dissent.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Scipio on June 26, 2013, 09:30:36 AM
You know, I think that Obama is really smart, but damn, does he have some shitty litigators working for him.  According to Scalia's dissent, the government's appeal brief took a non-adversarial position?  What idiocy.  That's the definition of no case or controversy.

They should have filed a pro-forma defense of DOMA, to deprive Scalia of that basis for dissent.

Please explain what this means.

Kleves

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2013, 09:29:57 AM
Declining to hear Prop 8 means the California SC decision to overturn stands, right?  Or do I have it backwards?
The district court's decision enjoining the enforcement of Prop 8 stands, I believe.

Kleves

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2013, 09:36:12 AM
Please explain what this means.
Standing requires a "case and controversy" and that a ruling would remedy the injury suffered by a party in the case. The Court isn't allowed to issue advisory opinions if it doesn't have a case and controversy before it. In the DOMA case, I believe the initial district court ruling went against the Feds (i.e. saying DOMA was unconstitutional). Obama then decided not to try and defend the law, so when the case went to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, both the government and the law's challenger were asking that the judgment be affirmed. Same thing happened at the Supreme Court level.

Scalia says: "The majority can cite no case in which this Court entertained an appeal in which both parties urged us to affirm the judgment below. And that is because the existence of a controversy is not a "prudential" requirement that we have invented, but an essential element of an Article III case or controversy. The majority's notion that a case between friendly parties can be entertained so long as "adversarial presentation of the issues is assured by the participation of amici curiae prepared to defend with vigor" the other side of the issue, effects a breathtaking revolution in our Article III jurisprudence."