News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Denisovans - New Human Ancestor?

Started by Malthus, June 26, 2013, 09:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Over the past couple of years, as it turns out, recent discoveries have been re-writing the history of human evolution. Now it turns out that there were three types of early human, not two - modern humans, neanderthals, and "denisovians".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denisova_hominin

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=denisovan-genome

Also, genetic evidence now establishes, apparently, that all three interbred - Africans are 100% modern human, Eurasians have 2.5% neanderthal ancestry, and Melanesians/Australian Aboriginies have 2.5% neanderthal and 5-6% denisovian ancestry.

All this from two bones and two teeth so far discovered ... 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

I was reading about this in National Geographic last night actually. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2013, 09:05:56 AM
All this from two bones and two teeth so far discovered ...

I'm sure the saddle and bridle remnants from riding Triceratops aren't too far away.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2013, 09:05:56 AM
Eurasians have 2.5% neanderthal ancestry
...or substantially more, in the case of Arnold Schwarzenegger. :cool:

jimmy olsen

I've posted about these guys before. Here's a good place to learn about a lot of the most recent research.

http://johnhawks.net/taxonomy/term/denisova
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

So, homo sapiens = black people, whites = neanderthal-homo sapiens hybrid, asian = denisova - homo sapiens hybrid?  :showoff:

Caliga

ummmmmmm no.  For one thing, Melanesians/Aborigines are totally unlike Asians (which I presume you mean East Asians by).

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2013, 09:38:08 AM
So, homo sapiens = black people, whites = neanderthal-homo sapiens hybrid, asian = denisova - homo sapiens hybrid?  :showoff:

Nope. We are all "homo sapiens".

Africans = 100% modern human genetic heritage.

Eurasians - that's Europeans plus Asians - have a small percentage of Neanderthal genetic heritage. Oddly, despite the fact that the only Denisovian remains so far discovered were found in the centre of Euurasia, living Eurasians have no genetic heritage from them.

Melanesians and Australian Aboriginies - have a small percentage of both Neanderthal and a (slighlty larger, but still small) Denisovian genetic heritage. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2013, 09:46:25 AM

Eurasians - that's Europeans plus Asians - have a small percentage of Neanderthal genetic heritage. Oddly, despite the fact that the only Denisovian remains so far discovered were found in the centre of Euurasia, living Eurasians have no genetic heritage from them.

Melanesians and Australian Aboriginies - have a small percentage of both Neanderthal and a (slighlty larger, but still small) Denisovian genetic heritage.
That's not entirely true. Asian immune systems in particular bear the mark of Denisovan heritage. I will post more on it in the morning, I'm tired and going to bed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 26, 2013, 09:55:04 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2013, 09:46:25 AM

That's not entirely true. Asian immune systems in particular bear the mark of Denisovan heritage. I will post more on it in the morning, I'm tired and going to bed.

I'm going by the Scientific American article, which says:

QuoteYet contemporary residents of mainland Asia do not seem to posses Denisovian traces in their DNA, a "very curious" fact, Hawks says. "We're looking at a very interesting population scenario"—one that does not jibe entirely with what we thought we knew about how waves modern human populations migrated into and through Asia and out to Oceania's islands. This new genetic evidence might indicate that perhaps an early wave of humans moved through Asia, mixed with Denisovans and then relocated to the islands—to be replaced in Asia by later waves of human migrants from Africa. "It's not totally obvious that that works really well with what we know about the diversity of Asians and Australians," Hawks says. But further genetic analysis and study should help to clarify these early migrations.

If there is contrary information out there, presumably based on new research, I would of course be very interested to read it, when you have the chance.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2013, 09:59:22 AM

If there is contrary information out there, presumably based on new research, I would of course be very interested to read it, when you have the chance.

There was some work on this in '11 that I recall, it may have been disproven later, I'll have to do some further research later. Work is busy right now.

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/reviews/neandertals/neandertal_dna/abi-rached-hla-class-1-neandertals.2011.html

Of course a handful of immune systems genes, important as they are, form a negligible percentage of the genome.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Plz.

All prehistorical remains fit on the back of a pick-up truck.

Does anybody knows how to spell FAKE??
Or Darwinian Cosnpiracy?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

WTF is 40 000 "BP"? Before Petroleum?

Siege

Malthus