Supreme Court: Section 4 of Voting Rights Act Unconstitutional

Started by Kleves, June 25, 2013, 09:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

QuoteWashington (CNN) -- A deeply divided Supreme Court has limited use of a key provision in the landmark Voting Rights Act of 1965, in effect invalidating the key enforcement provision that applies to all or parts of 15 states with past history of voter discrimination.

The case involved Section 5, which gives federal authorities open-ended oversight of states and localities with a history of voter discrimination. Any changes in voting laws and procedures in the covered areas -- which include all or parts of 15 states -- must be "pre-cleared" with Washington.

After the provision was reauthorized by Congress in 2006 for another 25 years, counties in Alabama and North Carolina filed suit, saying the monitoring was burdensome and unwarranted.

Civil rights groups say Section 5 has proved to be an important tool in protecting minority voters from local governments that would set unfair, shifting barriers to the polls. If it is ruled unconstitutional, they warn, the very power and effect of the entire Voting Rights Act would crumble.

But opponents of the provision counter that it should not be enforced in areas where it can be argued that racial discrimination no longer exists.
The holding: Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act is unconstitutional; its formulacan no longer be used as a basis for subjecting jurisdictions to preclearance.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Kleves

BTW, the gay marriage rulings are coming out tomorrow at 10.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 09:42:48 AM
Good.  Original sin has no place in jurisprudence.

There is a place for keeping an eye on previous offenders.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I have to say I think this makes sense, Raz's point notwithstanding.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2013, 10:01:24 AM

This ruling doesn't prevent anyone from keeping an eye on previous offenders.

CountDeMoney

Just fucking lovely.

But what the fuck, right?  Niggers in the South have had it too good for too long, anyway.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 10:06:19 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2013, 10:01:24 AM

This ruling doesn't prevent anyone from keeping an eye on previous offenders.

That's exactly what it does.  The previous offenders complained about the burden of monitoring.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2013, 10:36:54 AM
That's exactly what it does.  The previous offenders complained about the burden of monitoring.

No it doesn't.  Legislation is all in the public domain.  You can look up any proposed changes you want to South Carolina's voting regulations.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Kleves on June 25, 2013, 09:32:51 AM

The case involved Section 5, which gives federal authorities open-ended oversight of states and localities with a history of voter discrimination. Any changes in voting laws and procedures in the covered areas -- which include all or parts of 15 states -- must be "pre-cleared" with Washington.

The holding: Section 4 of the Voting Rights Act is unconstitutional; its formulacan no longer be used as a basis for subjecting jurisdictions to preclearance.
Which is it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

OttoVonBismarck

Section 5. Preclearance made sense for a long time, when it was extended for 25 years in 2006 I dunno that it still made sense. I remember the oral arguments from this case, didn't it come out that several of the preclearance States actually had among the very best minority voter registration rates in the country and the best rates of minority elected officials? Suggesting if there is any problem with minorities voting in the United States it doesn't follow the same map it did in the 1960s.

I'd be fine with them coming back with a new preclearance formula that applied to all fifty states if a given jurisdiction ran afoul of certain metrics, it could be put under preclearance for a set period of time (say 10 years.)

As it is, all this changes is in States that have very high minority voter participation and minority elected officials, their voting law changes no longer have to be precleared by the Justice Department. It did nothing else to Federal voting protections, so if the Justice Department looks at any voting law changes and decides they violate a group's civil rights they can still take action--so this isn't at all the doors opening to a flood gate of local legislation to disenfranchise blacks or whatever. The DoJ still retains the rest of its powers to go after jurisdictions that passed discriminatory voting laws. Given they would probably get an injunction against the law taking effect a few days after it passed, the practical effect of this should basically be nothing.

MadImmortalMan

Putting aside the pragmatic necessity for having it to begin with (that's not really in question is it?), the concept that a thing can be first constitutional and then later unconstitutional simply shouldn't happen. In theory.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 25, 2013, 10:27:54 AM
Niggers in the South have had it too good for too long, anyway.
Give this man a cooking show!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points