News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

For Women in Weiner Scandal, Indignity Lingers

Started by garbon, June 24, 2013, 03:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2013, 04:59:08 PM
I'm not casting moral judgment, believe it or not.  I'm just saying it's stupid.

It is sort of seeming like using your phone or your computer or anything and expecting it to be private is stupid.  Which of course raises the question what is private?

QuoteDon't talk to those named Weiner

In two of the three cases it seems that the women willingly traded raunchy messages back & forth.  I kinda feel bad for the other one, but then again her "youthful indiscretions" that apparently got uncovered were her own fault.

Well anybody's indiscretions of any sort can be used to attack anybody, even when they did not do anything wrong it was just a bit embarrasing.  I find that pretty worrisome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

The argument seems to be that we should constantly self-censor, otherwise, once our privacy has been breached, we will be shown up as the slightly ridiculous people that we all are  :hmm:

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2013, 05:04:26 PM
Well anybody's indiscretions of any sort can be used to attack anybody, even when they did not do anything wrong it was just a bit embarrasing.  I find that pretty worrisome.

Now you're learning, boy-o.  Welcome to the Internet Age.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2013, 04:50:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 03:11:16 PMMaybe I didn't pay enough attention to the scandal but I don't think I'd recognize any of the women - let alone think it'd be fun to throw it up as a joke in their face.

That's because you didn't know them for other reasons. The people giving the women a hard time are either reporters, or people they work with or otherwise know.

Imagine if one of the people involved was posting on languish; it'd be brought up constantly.

Fair though weren't some of the people harassing them customers? Also, while Languish might be cruel, I don't usually see co-workers making snide jokes at one another.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2013, 05:08:53 PM
The argument seems to be that we should constantly self-censor, otherwise, once our privacy has been breached, we will be shown up as the slightly ridiculous people that we all are  :hmm:

:D :thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2013, 04:59:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2013, 04:34:37 PM
I guess.  I mean so far as I can tell none of those women were even in relationships so I do not see that they were doing anything wrong.

I'm not casting moral judgment, believe it or not.  I'm just saying it's stupid.

QuoteStuff like this ruins it for everybody.

:console:

QuoteI mean one of them was just chatting with him and he sent her the schlong pics unsolicited...what is the lesson there?  Just do not talk to public figures?

Don't talk to those named Weiner :P

In two of the three cases it seems that the women willingly traded raunchy messages back & forth.  I kinda feel bad for the other one, but then again her "youthful indiscretions" that apparently got uncovered were her own fault.

While I don't like the idea of sexting, or sexting a married man, seems a bit harsh to say that these women deserve what they are getting as they participated willingly in the private chat.

Malthus

God help any of us Languishistas should we become famous. Languish = a gold mine of embarrasing quotes.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Now you understand why the Victorians handled things the way that they did. We may actually end up heading back in that direction thanks to the early hedonistic internet ways. :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2013, 04:52:43 PM
If I found sexts written by CdM I would be doing my best to forget I had ever seen them.

You wouldn't be able, as the prose would be crafted so elegantly, so flawless, their very existence seared into your psyche.  LULZ PIC OF MAH COCK U?

Valmy

Which is fine so long as you do not attract public attention for any reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 24, 2013, 05:11:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2013, 05:04:26 PM

Now you're learning, boy-o.  Welcome to the Internet Age.

For a guy who claims to just want to be left alone you seem pretty comfortable with it :P

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: merithyn on June 25, 2013, 08:50:00 AM

Now you understand why the Victorians handled things the way that they did. We may actually end up heading back in that direction thanks to the early hedonistic internet ways. :ph34r:

Yes, this is one of my pet theories, we return to the Victorian age when it comes to free speech ......... though with different shibboleths of course.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2013, 09:51:50 AM

Which is fine so long as you do not attract public attention for any reason.

It will/has become very easy for the security services to bugger up the political campaign of anyone they disapprove of  :ph34r:

.........and if they can't find any dirt on a particular candidate then that person is so tedious I wouldn't vote for him either  :D

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2013, 09:52:50 AM
For a guy who claims to just want to be left alone you seem pretty comfortable with it :P

But then I don't make a habit of sexting married public figures named "Weiner".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2013, 10:34:58 AM
But then I don't make a habit of sexting married public figures named "Weiner".

Nah but you do other things.  Would you like your internet search history released to the public?