Paula Deen fired from Food Network for racist comments

Started by jimmy olsen, June 22, 2013, 01:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Quote from: fhdz on June 26, 2013, 08:55:58 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2013, 01:31:20 PM
I can always go for CB's breakfast food, especially their big ass country breakfast, but southern fried steak?  Hurl.

Chicken fried steak with gravy is the food of the saints. :pope:

You are so gonna be a member of an axis.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on June 26, 2013, 09:02:09 PM
Quote from: fhdz on June 26, 2013, 08:55:58 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 26, 2013, 01:31:20 PM
I can always go for CB's breakfast food, especially their big ass country breakfast, but southern fried steak?  Hurl.

Chicken fried steak with gravy is the food of the saints. :pope:

You are so gonna be a member of an axis.

He already is.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: fhdz on June 26, 2013, 08:55:58 PMChicken fried steak with gravy is the food of the saints. :pope:

You're no longer Catholic, correct?

MadBurgerMaker

Chicken fried steak, if done correctly, rules.

You can all suck it.

(don't eat too much though that shit will kill you)

The Larch

Quote from: derspiess on June 26, 2013, 09:00:09 PM
Milanese is great. Chicken fried steak isn't.

Is that the Argentinian in you speaking? :p

KRonn

I really try to eat as little processed food as possible. Probably lunch meat is the worst I use and I don't eat that very often. I buy cookies, crackers, ice cream which aren't great but I'm not trying to become a monk about foods. It's hard to find bread without a lot of salt or some crap in it. I sometimes make my own bread too though. Too many foods contain artificial or natural flavors which as far as I've read those are sometimes suspect items. Some of the foods and additives allowed by the US FDA are banned in Europe.

I love cereal and try to buy brands that have the least or even no additives. Shredded Wheat is one, just contains wheat. Oatmeal, cream of wheat have little or no additives. I buy bags of couscous, cracked wheat, semolina and cook those into vegetables, or eat them as is. I also buy dried beans, peas, lentils, etc.

The food industry is a huge lobbying group, has a lot of power, too much sway and influence over the watch dogs, IMO. And too much of the stuff they feed us is crap. So I try hard to get food that has no crap or the least, or buy organic though I don't put a lot of priority on organics.

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on June 27, 2013, 10:43:35 AM
Probably lunch meat is the worst I use and I don't eat that very often.
You better watch what you say or you're going to turn up mysteriously run over by the Wienermobile. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

I really try to eat as little processed food as possible. Probably lunch meat is the worst I use and I don't eat that very often. I buy cookies, crackers, ice cream which aren't great but I'm not trying to become a monk about foods. It's hard to find bread without a lot of salt or some crap in it. I sometimes make my own bread too though. Too many foods contain artificial or natural flavors which as far as I've read those are sometimes suspect items. Some of the foods and additives allowed by the US FDA are banned in Europe.

I love cereal and try to buy brands that have the least or even no additives. Shredded Wheat is one, just contains wheat. Oatmeal, cream of wheat have little or no additives. I buy bags of couscous, cracked wheat, semolina and cook those into vegetables, or eat them as is. I also buy dried beans, peas, lentils, etc.

The food industry is a huge lobbying group, has a lot of power, too much sway and influence over the watch dogs, IMO. And too much of the stuff they feed us is crap. So I try hard to get food that has no crap or the least, or buy organic though I don't put a lot of priority on organics.

There's differences between organic/gm and banned food additives. Just to talk about food additives, it appears a lot of countries just ban certain additives for no reason. For example until the 1970s cyclamates were commonly used in the United States as an artificial sweetener the same as saccharin or aspartame, but they were banned based on a study that associated cyclamates with lab rats getting tumors. The study was painfully flawed, and cyclamates continued to be used in Canada and Europe with no ill effects in humans.

But then later Canada banned saccharin on the basis of animal tests that were also very flawed and ultimately proved to not be a problem.

In both cases a small number of flaw tests got a substance banned, and in both cases even when newer research showed the ban was wholly unjustified, neither country has ever reversed its respective ban. It gets to be really hard due to bureaucratic inertia to reverse a ban once something is banned, same reason the U.S. didn't allow silicone in breast implants for ages. Totally unjustified ban, but once it was in place it was hard to make it go away.

So just because something is banned in one country and not another isn't really a sign of anything. The authorities in all the countries have shown they are haphazard and frankly, stupid, about what they ban and why.

KRonn

Yeah Otto, I agree with what you say regarding how some of the bans on food are done. But I just try to use as little of the processed stuff where possible. I don't go out of my way to buy organic because I figure eating the right foods goes a long way towards doing the better thing anyway.

One thing that drives me nuts is all the salt that goes into foods. Soups, bread, cereal. I'm fine with little or no salt in most foods, and prefer it, because I like the taste without the salt. I think since I use so little salt that I'm fine with something like unsalted soup or canned veggies, but people are probably so accustomed to having heavy salt in foods that the non or low salt stuff tastes bad to them.

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on June 27, 2013, 10:48:41 AM
Probably lunch meat is the worst I use and I don't eat that very often.
You better watch what you say or you're going to turn up mysteriously run over by the Wienermobile. :(

Like those poor women. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

I got bored enough at work to read the indictments against Paula Dean and her brother (who sounds like a world-class prick). It ain't pretty, that's for sure, and it ain't about the "n" word.

http://www.atlawblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Jackson-v.-Deen-et-al.-Complaint.pdf
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: merithyn on July 01, 2013, 09:19:14 AM
I got bored enough at work to read the indictments against Paula Dean and her brother (who sounds like a world-class prick). It ain't pretty, that's for sure, and it ain't about the "n" word.

http://www.atlawblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Jackson-v.-Deen-et-al.-Complaint.pdf

That isn't an indictment, an indictment is when you've been formally accused of a crime, typically it is handed down by a grand jury. An indictment usually comes after substantial investigative work and then analysis of evidence has been performed by an empaneled grand jury. What you're reading is a complaint, in a civil (not criminal) matter. It is one side of the case's statement of facts, it is basically what one party is alleging happened and their justification for bringing civil suit against the named defendants. That means it isn't really evidence at all, it's just a set of claims.

Some of which may have been supported by information obtained in later depositions or submitted evidence, but you'd have to be following the case itself to know that.

merithyn

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 01, 2013, 09:28:51 AM
That isn't an indictment, an indictment is when you've been formally accused of a crime, typically it is handed down by a grand jury. An indictment usually comes after substantial investigative work and then analysis of evidence has been performed by an empaneled grand jury. What you're reading is a complaint, in a civil (not criminal) matter. It is one side of the case's statement of facts, it is basically what one party is alleging happened and their justification for bringing civil suit against the named defendants. That means it isn't really evidence at all, it's just a set of claims.

Some of which may have been supported by information obtained in later depositions or submitted evidence, but you'd have to be following the case itself to know that.

:mellow:

I don't fucking care, Otto. The complaint, the indictment. What the fuck ever. It looks ugly, and it aint about the "n" word.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

OttoVonBismarck

So you don't care that you've portrayed something as a criminal charge when it's a civil matter? And you don't care that you presented something as a statement of facts when it's actually the unsubstantiated claims of someone with a pecuniary interest in the matter? A large portion of cases like this are settled for relatively small amounts precisely because much of the claims can never be substantiated. You brought a totally unsubstantiated set of claims in and acted as though it was a factual telling of what was going on in their restaurants. It may or may not be, but until it's been argued in court I think it's very strange that you're so shocked by the details of the complaint, it seems like you had no idea that a plaintiff's attorney just types whatever their client tells them happened into a complaint, and that just because something is in a complaint doesn't really mean anything.

Lisa Jackson is white by the way, the racial discrimination stuff was never her claiming she was discriminated against based on her race. But rather it "offended her" to hear anti-black racial discrimination because she has an adopted nephew or something who is black or half-black or something.