DoJ to Snowden: Hope your 15 minutes were worth it, pal

Started by CountDeMoney, June 21, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on July 08, 2013, 02:54:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 01:59:55 PM
A Jury of his peers would be a fine thing, and fitting with the concept of civil disobedience.  Sadly Snowden decided that wasn't for him.   What do you want the German government to do?
Making sure the Americans, French, British etc. don't spy on us wholesale anymore. And most of all, I want to make sure that our own intelligence agencies don't use similar technologies as Snowdon described to spy on us. That's obviously the biggest concern for me.

And how exactly would you like the German government to facilitate this?  There is not a great deal of leverage Germany Germany has vis-a-vis the US.  Angering the US and possibly preventing trade deals in unlikely to prevent the US from spying on Germany.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Wrapping yourself up in sheets doesn't scare black people anymore so that's unlikely to stop Obama.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Zanza

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 03:10:35 PM
And how exactly would you like the German government to facilitate this?  There is not a great deal of leverage Germany Germany has vis-a-vis the US.  Angering the US and possibly preventing trade deals in unlikely to prevent the US from spying on Germany.
I doubt that. The diplomatic fallout and endangering future cooperation is too high a price just to keep up this data collection.

If you read the news, you would know that Obama has already promised to hold talks on this with the German government.

Furthermore, attitudes to privacy seem to shift at least a bit in Germany's ruling coalition, so there is hope that the topic becomes more of a focus in our elections and domestic politics as well, which would increase the pressure on the German government to act too. This is actually the main thing that needs to happen. If Germany's government was really pissed off about all of this, the US would act. However, they are very complacent, mostly because they also benefited from this under German law illegal data collection.

Admiral Yi

There's plenty the German government could do.

I would like it noted for the record that I, an American, am not completely comfortable with the programs disclosed by Snowden.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 03:19:44 PM
There's plenty the German government could do.

I would like it noted for the record that I, an American, am not completely comfortable with the programs disclosed by Snowden.

There are things I'm not comfortable with, though spying on Germans is not one of them.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on July 08, 2013, 03:18:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 03:10:35 PM
I doubt that. The diplomatic fallout and endangering future cooperation is too high a price just to keep up this data collection.

If you read the news, you would know that Obama has already promised to hold talks on this with the German government.

Furthermore, attitudes to privacy seem to shift at least a bit in Germany's ruling coalition, so there is hope that the topic becomes more of a focus in our elections and domestic politics as well, which would increase the pressure on the German government to act too. This is actually the main thing that needs to happen. If Germany's government was really pissed off about all of this, the US would act. However, they are very complacent, mostly because they also benefited from this under German law illegal data collection.

I'm not certain that Germany can break off all cooperation some of that is required by treaties signed at the end of WWII.  Ending intelligence gather cooperation is likely to increase US surveillance not decrease it.

Zanza

Yeah, whatever. I don't think you even want to understand my point.

Razgovory

garbon

I like how Snowden has now changed from moral crusader to "don't fuck with me bros, you'll be sorry."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/07/15/snowden-has-enough-information-to-cause-us-government-worst-damage-in-history/

QuoteSnowden has enough information to cause US government worst damage in history, journalist says

National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden possesses enough information to cause more damage to the United States government than "anyone else has ever had in the history" of the country, according to the journalist who first reported the former contractor's leaked documents.

Glenn Greenwald, a columnist for The Guardian newspaper who first reported on the intelligence leaks, told Argentinian newspaper La Nacion that the U.S. government should exercise extreme care with Snowden because he has the potential to do further damage to the country.

"But that's not his goal," Greenwald told the newspaper. "His objective is to expose software that people around the world use without knowing what they are exposing themselves to, without consciously agreeing to surrender their rights to privacy. He has a huge number of documents that would be very harmful to the U.S. government if they were made public."

Greenwald also told The Associated Press that disclosure of the information in the documents would "allow somebody who read them to know exactly how the NSA does what it does, which would in turn allow them to evade that surveillance or replicate it."

Greenwald said "literally thousands" of documents taken by Snowden constitute "basically the instruction manual" for how the NSA is built.

"In order to take documents with him that proved that what he was saying was true he had to take ones that included very sensitive, detailed blueprints of how the NSA does what they do," said Greenwald, adding that the interview took place about four hours after his last interaction with Snowden.

Greenwald believes the disclosure of the information in the documents would not prove harmful to Americans or their national security, but said Snowden has insisted they not be made public.

"I think it would be harmful to the U.S. government, as they perceive their own interests, if the details of those programs were revealed," said Greenwald, who has previously said the documents have been encrypted to help ensure their safekeeping.

On Friday, Snowden, 30, emerged after weeks of hiding in a Moscow airport and said he was willing to meet President Vladimir Putin's condition that he stop leaking U.S. secrets if it means Russia would grant him asylum until he can move on to somewhere in Latin America.

Snowden is believed to be stuck in the transit area of Moscow's main international airport, where he arrived from Hong Kong on June 23. Although he has had asylum offers from Venezuela, Nicaragua and Bolivia, the logistics of reaching whichever country is complicated since his U.S. passport has been revoked.

Despite his predicament, Snowden remains "calm and tranquil," Greenwald said.

"I haven't sensed an iota of remorse or regret or anxiety over the situation that he's in," said Greenwald. "He's of course tense and focused on his security and his short-term well-being to the best extent that he can, but he's very resigned to the fact that things might go terribly wrong and he's at peace with that."

Greenwald said he worried that interest in Snowden's personal saga had detracted from the impact of his revelations, adding that Snowden deliberately rebuffed nearly all requests for interviews to avoid media scrutiny. He also said he's  "concerned" about Snowden's personal safety.

Greenwald said the U.S. has shown it's "willing to take even the most extreme steps if they think doing so is necessary to neutralize a national security threat."

Asked about a so-called dead man's pact, which Greenwald has said would allow several people to access Snowden's trove of documents were anything to happen to him, Greenwald replied that "media descriptions of it have been overly simplistic.

"It's not just a matter of, if he dies, things get released, it's more nuanced than that," he said. "It's really just a way to protect himself against extremely rogue behavior on the part of the United States, by which I mean violent actions toward him, designed to end his life, and it's just a way to ensure that nobody feels incentivized to do that."

Greenwald has also co-authored a series of articles in Rio de Janeiro's O Globo newspaper focusing on NSA actions in Latin America. He said he expected to continue publishing further stories based on other Snowden documents over the next four months. Upcoming stories would likely include details on "other domestic spying programs that have yet to be revealed," but which are similar in scope to those he has been reporting on. Greenwald did not provide further details on the nature of those programs.

It remains unclear whether Russia will take Snowden up on his latest request for asylum, which could further test U.S.-Russia relations. Following Friday's meeting between Snowden and human rights activists, U.S. officials criticized Russia for allowing a "propaganda platform" for the NSA leader.

White House spokesman Jay Carney — who said the former NSA contractor is not a human rights activist or a dissident — said Russia should instead send Snowden back to the U.S. to face the felony charges that are pending against him.

"He is accused of leaking classified information, has been charged with three felony counts and should be returned to the United States," Carney said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

PREDICTION:

Greenwald is going to have a nasty car accident. Or shaving cut across his neck.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Why don't the asylum-offering countries just offer him one of their passports?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 15, 2013, 12:53:18 PM

Probably because they don't actually want him - just want to stick it to the US.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 15, 2013, 12:53:18 PM

They don't have to give him a passport, there is a form of travel paper they could give him.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

QuoteEdward Snowden possesses enough information to cause more damage to the United States government than "anyone else has ever had in the history" of the country

Meh, I don't think so.  Mr. Hannsen will still hold that record by a long shot.

QuoteGreenwald said "literally thousands" of documents taken by Snowden constitute "basically the instruction manual" for how the NSA is built.

Oooh, more vague PowerPoint presentations for VIPs and leadership, entitled "What We Do" followed by 3 bullet points.