DoJ to Snowden: Hope your 15 minutes were worth it, pal

Started by CountDeMoney, June 21, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on July 02, 2013, 07:05:02 PM
France denied a Bolivian plan entry into its airspace because of fear that Snowdon might be on board. Going a little crazy, no? Of course, if any country would try to smuggle Snowdon out of Moscow...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23156360

It seems that Morales' plane was screened by Austrian police when it stopped in Vienna to check if Snowden was there, to no avail. Over-reacting much?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23158242

QuoteSnowden case: Bolivia condemns jet 'aggression'

Bolivia has accused European countries of an "act of aggression" for refusing to allow its presidential jet into their airspace, amid suggestions US fugitive Edward Snowden was on board.

CountDeMoney

The little shit may be reduced to munching on vending machine food by now, but with all this silliness going on, I'm sure he's munching smugly.

Ed Anger

I love how the spics in funny hats say the US ordered the French to close their airspace. LOL
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

I'm getting the impression that significant parts of American intelligence related work is outsourced to private companies - security clearances, data handling and analysis and that sort of thing. Even policy drafting?

Does anyone know to what extent that is true?

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on July 03, 2013, 11:25:21 AM
I'm getting the impression that significant parts of American intelligence related work is outsourced to private companies - security clearances, data handling and analysis and that sort of thing. Even policy drafting?

Well, such a thing would fit into the stereotypes of both parties.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on July 03, 2013, 11:25:21 AM

It is true.  Cheaper to contract it all out.  Private sector outsources their Federal-mandated critical infrastructure protection under HSPD-7 and HSPD-12, too. 

Phillip V

U.S. Postal Service Photographing All Mail for Law Enforcement

'Mr. Pickering was targeted by a longtime surveillance system called mail covers, but that is only a forerunner of a vastly more expansive effort, the Mail Isolation Control and Tracking program, in which Postal Service computers photograph the exterior of every piece of paper mail that is processed in the United States — about 160 billion pieces last year. It is not known how long the government saves the images.

Together, the two programs show that snail mail is subject to the same kind of scrutiny that the National Security Agency has given to telephone calls and e-mail.

At the request of law enforcement officials, postal workers record information from the outside of letters and parcels before they are delivered. The information is sent to whatever law enforcement agency asked for it. Tens of thousands of pieces of mail each year undergo this scrutiny.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/us/monitoring-of-snail-mail.html
QuoteLeslie James Pickering noticed something odd in his mail last September: A handwritten card, apparently delivered by mistake, with instructions for postal workers to pay special attention to the letters and packages sent to his home.

"Show all mail to supv" — supervisor — "for copying prior to going out on the street," read the card. It included Mr. Pickering's name, address and the type of mail that needed to be monitored. The word "confidential" was highlighted in green.

"It was a bit of a shock to see it," said Mr. Pickering, who owns a small bookstore in Buffalo. More than a decade ago, he was a spokesman for the Earth Liberation Front, a radical environmental group labeled eco-terrorists by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Postal officials subsequently confirmed they were indeed tracking Mr. Pickering's mail but told him nothing else.

As the world focuses on the high-tech spying of the National Security Agency, the misplaced card offers a rare glimpse inside the seemingly low-tech but prevalent snooping of the United States Postal Service.

Kleves

How dare the postal service look at the outside of my letters!  :ultra:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

It is estimated that two or three American nuclear power plants exist only to provide steam for the government's letter-opening campaign.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

I get job listing from companies from time to time.  This morning I got one from Booz-Allen, and I thought "Yeah, I heard you had an opening."

A year ago all their jobs were satellite communications; now they're mostly data analysis.  My favorite title so far "Big Data Scientist."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on July 04, 2013, 06:01:10 AM
I get job listing from companies from time to time.  This morning I got one from Booz-Allen, and I thought "Yeah, I heard you had an opening."

A year ago all their jobs were satellite communications; now they're mostly data analysis.  My favorite title so far "Big Data Scientist."

"Have to be 6'6" to apply."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.