Was Malthus ever poor?

Started by DGuller, June 21, 2013, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was Malthus ever poor?

Yes
No
Maybe, sort of.  I guess it depends...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2013, 04:41:34 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 24, 2013, 04:17:45 PMThis, though, is bullshit.

I never claimed that my experience was the same as those who grew up poor. In fact, if you read the thread, you would see that I consistently said the opposite - that a few years' stint of being (without money? Money disadvantaged? What exactly would you have me say here?) is not the equivalent of growing up poor. This whole fracas was started because I corrected CC on this very point - and myself said that I had advantages he lacked.   

I love how on Languish you can say one thing over and over again, but people will *still* claim you have said the exact opposite: "basically rendering rhetorically invisible" is right - what I actually said is being "rendered rhetorically invisible" here. His claim to heroism is quite safe from any alleged assault by me.  :rolleyes:

Isn't this whole thread a discussion about whether by saying "poor" you are (CC's view) or are not (your view) making those claims?

No, the whole discussion was about whether I was wrong to have claimed I was "poor" for a few years after getting out of university, simply because I was earning very little money as a potter's assistant.

I never made any of those claims for "heroism" or whatever. In fact, I very specifically told CC I was *not* making those claims in the very first exchange. In fact, far from complaining about how I had it tough, I went further, and told him I had in fact had benefits available to few, such as free tuition as a "perk" of my dad's job as a prof.

That's why this whole discussion is highly annoying. CC's framed the debate based on a complete and utter fabrication and you are buying into it.

Again it is like the stroller meme. Some people knew it wasn't my stroller and others did not, simply because the meme got repeated enough times. If CC etc. repeat enough times that I was complaining about how hard I had it, people like you will believe it.

As Winston Churchill said, ""A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." He may have been imagining Languish.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2013, 05:00:43 PM
We are well aware you did not actually have the stroller Malthus.

Apparently, not everyone was.

I am somewhat puzzled by the idea that being poor is a credential only gained once you have met a series of requirements.  Maybe Fiddler on the Roof was wrong about being poor not being a great honor.

That makes two of us.

Apparently, merely mentioning the word and you are "rhetorically" denying the dignity of poverty. Or something.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

OttoVonBismarck

For the record I thought Malthus had an expensive stroller, but that the $2,000 stroller was a hyperbolic exaggeration.

Razgovory

Okay, but what about the insects?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2013, 05:49:09 PM
Okay, but what about the insects?

That is a different alt life best saved for another thread.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 24, 2013, 05:41:19 PM
That's why this whole discussion is highly annoying. CC's framed the debate based on a complete and utter fabrication and you are buying into it.

One last time then I am done with this thread.  You claimed to be poor.  I at first accepted that notion until you said you father was a professor.  I then said that you were not poor with a father like that.

You insist that you were poor because you had a few years between undergrad and law school where you earned, in your estimation, a small amount of money.  I tried to point out to you that being poor is more than that.  You failed to understand the point and lashed out.

Fine.  Take your narrative that your were poor if that helps you in some way.  But to those of us that really were poor, you just look silly.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on June 24, 2013, 05:41:19 PM
No, the whole discussion was about whether I was wrong to have claimed I was "poor" for a few years after getting out of university, simply because I was earning very little money as a potter's assistant.

I never made any of those claims for "heroism" or whatever. In fact, I very specifically told CC I was *not* making those claims in the very first exchange. In fact, far from complaining about how I had it tough, I went further, and told him I had in fact had benefits available to few, such as free tuition as a "perk" of my dad's job as a prof.

Sounds like we're in agreement; the debate is about the framing of "poor". Neither you nor CC are ceding one inch on your respective readings.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2013, 06:14:23 PM
Sounds like we're in agreement; the debate is about the framing of "poor". Neither you nor CC are ceding one inch on your respective readings.

That's not fair.  Malthus has objectively described his situation and expressed willingness to substitute any appropriate terminology for poor.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 06:26:12 PM
That's not fair.  Malthus has objectively described his situation and expressed willingness to substitute any appropriate terminology for poor.

You're right. Malthus did concede the point somewhat earlier, but clearly CC was not satisfied with the particulars of the concession.

sbr

Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2013, 06:32:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 06:26:12 PM

You're right. Malthus did concede the point somewhat earlier, but clearly CC was not satisfied with the particulars of the concession.

Malthus conceded the point almost immediately.  He said he would be more than happy to use a better one word descriptor if someone came up with one.

DGuller

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 24, 2013, 05:48:41 PM
For the record I thought Malthus had an expensive stroller, but that the $2,000 stroller was a hyperbolic exaggeration.
I thought it was his stroller as well, and I thought that the $2000 was the real price, and that the higher prices mentioned were trolling exaggerations. :unsure: 

PDH

I thought Malthus paid $2000 for the blood of gentile babies.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

Quote from: PDH on June 24, 2013, 07:28:56 PM

I thought he was a gentle baby.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on June 24, 2013, 07:28:56 PM

That's a pretty good price.