Started by DGuller, June 21, 2013, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was Malthus ever poor?

Yes
No
Maybe, sort of.  I guess it depends...

Malthus

Quote from: frunk on June 24, 2013, 02:44:59 PM
I don't think anybody disagrees that Malthus's experience was different from CC's or Meri's, but I don't think English supports a clear distinction between them without getting into wordy clarifications or outright twisting of the meaning of "poor".

Yup. That's my point exactly.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Legbiter

You guys should just get a room to gay it out.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 02:48:01 PM
I don't think anybody disagrees that Malthus's experience was different from CC's or Meri's, but I don't think English supports a clear distinction between them without getting into wordy clarifications or outright twisting of the meaning of "poor".

Well, MW has this as a description of poverty:

Quotethe state of one who lacks a usual or socially acceptable amount of money or material possessions

and Malthus has argued that his period after college is what typically happens after college, when kids have to suddenly support themselves.  So I don't think it would involve wordy clarifications or word-twisting if one wanted to say that Malthus had a usual amount of money for someone fresh out of college (particularly one not motivated to better himself).

The claim is that it is usual for college kids with worthless degrees in the humanities to be poor, so it isn't really "poor"? Presumably, by the same token, it is usual for non-English speaking illegal immigrants to be "poor" so they aren't "poor" either?  :hmm:

Dunno where you are getting the bolded  stuff from.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Legbiter on June 24, 2013, 02:50:45 PM
You guys should just get a room to gay it out.

I refuse to "gay it out" with a guy who is eight feet tall.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 24, 2013, 02:53:02 PM

Quotethe state of one who lacks a usual or socially acceptable amount of money or material possessions

and Malthus has argued that his period after college is what typically happens after college, when kids have to suddenly support themselves.  So I don't think it would involve wordy clarifications or word-twisting if one wanted to say that Malthus had a usual amount of money for someone fresh out of college (particularly one not motivated to better himself).

The claim is that it is usual for college kids with worthless degrees in the humanities to be poor, so it isn't really "poor"? Presumably, by the same token, it is usual for non-English speaking illegal immigrants to be "poor" so they aren't "poor" either?  :hmm:

Nope.

Quote from: Malthus on June 24, 2013, 02:53:02 PM
Dunno where you are getting the bolded  stuff from.  :hmm:

From you. By all accounts you were a jack off for a few years. Nothing wrong with that. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2013, 10:20:47 AM

Now these people do have my sympathy, apart from anything else it can be rather boring being broke and being excluded from the various activities most of us do without a thought. But it is simply not in the same league as living in a Nairobi shanty town or Calcutta slum.

Agreed. For the most part first world poverty differs than 3rd world. but that's mostly due to social programs such as welfare, subsidized housing, shelters, etc, which current centre-right governments keep chipping away at each budget.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 02:55:02 PM
Nope.

Please explain.

QuoteFrom you. By all accounts you were a jack off for a few years. Nothing wrong with that. :)

How so? I worked. I even tried to start my own business.  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on June 24, 2013, 02:55:16 PM
Agreed. For the most part first world poverty differs than 3rd world. but that's mostly due to social programs such as welfare, subsidized housing, shelters, etc, which current centre-right governments keep chipping away at each budget.

It's mostly due to the fact that to be considered poor in the 3rd world you have to earn less than $1.25 a day.

MadImmortalMan

As though being labelled poor is somehow an achievement or virtuous. It's not. :contract:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2013, 02:39:54 PM
Malthus, give it up dude.  Once the people of Languish decide something about you, that's it.  THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN.  That's why I work in HR and eat out of dumpsters to these people, and will forever do so.
You don't?  :yeahright: Anyway, this is Malthus's alt history thread, have someone start your own.

crazy canuck

No, the opposite conclusion is more compelling.  As I argued in this and the other thread, and as you point out here.  Most kids find themselves in the Malthus' position.  Although Malthus position was still advantaged because of the lack of debt.  Therefore his circumstances were in no way lacking the "usual" amount of money in his circumstances.

Malthus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 24, 2013, 03:04:45 PM
As though being labelled poor is somehow an achievement or virtuous. It's not. :contract:

Well matched with sig.  :D

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 02:29:15 PM
Does a university department chair make enough in Canada for his offspring to be considered "rich kids?"

From the POV of the poor, yes.

From the POV of the middle class, no.

Admiral Yi

It does however grant you bonus points in the game of life achievement.

crazy canuck

I dont think anyone here is arguing that being poor is in any way a good thing.  Other than your earlier post. :P