Some admissions officials admit that male applicants get special treatment

Started by garbon, June 21, 2013, 01:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: HVC on June 21, 2013, 07:53:00 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 21, 2013, 05:47:40 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2013, 05:45:45 PM
Fuck Admissions, how about a little special treatment from HR?

Where's our Languish.org HR subject matter expert?? Fuck HR is just unreliable.  :mad:
Probably eating dinner at some gas station :P
:lol:

Eddie Teach

A lot of gas station food is better quality than BK triple stackers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Eddie Teach

Heck, IIRC Cal's definition of the term could encompass them. Plenty of BKs attached to gas stations.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 21, 2013, 08:31:05 PM
Heck, IIRC Cal's definition of the term could encompass them. Plenty of BKs attached to gas stations.
They are?  :w00t: I see now why Cal eats there all the time.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 21, 2013, 07:42:10 PM
I don't think they even wear ties over there.  There's something just not right about that.

Sounds like paradise.

CountDeMoney

For somebody that traipses around in government issue BDUs, I'd expect you not to have a grasp of men's fashion.

Tonitrus

On Monday's, when we have to wear our service uniform, I bust out the clip-on. :yeah:

But only because the open-collar alternative looks too 70s chest-hair douchy.

Maximus

I don't think they even wear ties over there.  There's something just not right about that.
They sure as hell better not.

Iormlund

Quote from: Google guy on June 21, 2013, 06:10:06 PMOne of my own frustrations when I was in college and grad school is that you knew the professor was looking for a specific answer. You could figure that out, but it's much more interesting to solve problems where there isn't an obvious answer. You want people who like figuring out stuff where there is no obvious answer."

I can so relate to that. I was a dreadful student. I really hated uni.

And then I started working and my boss said to me: "we need you to develop a project that matches these specs. None of us has done anything similar, so you're on your own". It was ridiculously fun.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 21, 2013, 08:42:09 PM

Sounds like paradise.

It's a west coast thing. On the Atlantic side they follow the NYC way and suit up like Barney Stinson.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

Why would an engineer or a boffin wear a tie to work? Or a suit, for that matter.

Josquius

And in science programmes women get special treatment.
Doesn't make it somehow particularly worse that men are getting the treatment here because there used to be real discrimination against women.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

I'd say discrimination based on sex is bad in all cases. The problem is really how come the boys aren't getting better grades and the girls aren't getting better test scores.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 21, 2013, 11:42:53 PM
I'd say discrimination based on sex is bad in all cases. The problem is really how come the boys aren't getting better grades and the girls aren't getting better test scores.
The test oriented school system is pretty biased in favour of women on a lot of levels, e.g. a larger proportion of men are practically minded.
The biggest one IMO is that boys develop later, so women generally have all their hormonal becoming an adult crap out of the way before it comes to the time to really get their heads down and work at getting into university. For men that can come right in the middle of their most important years academically.
██████
██████
██████