The future George Zimmerman Acquittal Trial Megathread!

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Scipio on July 14, 2013, 01:09:59 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 14, 2013, 12:54:18 PM
Quote from: Scipio on July 14, 2013, 12:48:56 PM
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/03/state-map-gun-suicides-traffic-deaths

Surprise, surprise surprise.

What's your point?
Look at all those states in the North with more gun killings than car-related deaths, and the fact that those states include gun-control paradises California and Illinois.
The hidden assumption in your argument is that car death rate is constant across states.  Well, it's not really hidden, it's kind of obvious if you're not a total idiot.

Eddie Teach

I don't know why we insist on lumping suicides and murders together. Personally, I'd prefer suicidal people use a gun rather than a car.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 14, 2013, 01:29:08 PM
I don't know why we insist on lumping suicides and murders together. Personally, I'd prefer suicidal people use a gun rather than a car.
We insist because far from all suicides are inevitable.  It's not like someone is guaranteed to kill themselves, and is then looking for the most convenient method.  People with guns around actually go through with suicide attempts more frequently, and those suicides attempts are much more successful.  Considering that most people don't try to kill themselves again after first failed suicide attempt, that adds up to a lot of needless deaths due to people keeping guns near them.

Scipio

I look forward to the delicious irony of many new "Trayvon's laws" resulting in increased incarceration of young black males for self-defense shootings.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Jacob

Quote from: Scipio on July 14, 2013, 01:33:28 PM
I look forward to the delicious irony of many new "Trayvon's laws" resulting in increased incarceration of young black males for self-defense shootings.

Are there a lot of young black male shooters who avoid incarceration due to claims of self-defence presently?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on July 14, 2013, 01:35:42 PM
Are there a lot of young black male shooters who avoid incarceration due to claims of self-defence presently?

Plenty of them dead under claims of Possession with Intent to Distribute Skittles already.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on July 14, 2013, 01:32:33 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 14, 2013, 01:29:08 PM
We insist because far from all suicides are inevitable.  It's not like someone is guaranteed to kill themselves, and is then looking for the most convenient method.  People with guns around actually go through with suicide attempts more frequently, and those suicides attempts are much more successful.  Considering that most people don't try to kill themselves again after first failed suicide attempt, that adds up to a lot of needless deaths due to people keeping guns near them.
You're acting like deaths by suicide are undesirable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on July 14, 2013, 01:22:33 PM
Look at all those states in the North with more gun killings than car-related deaths, and the fact that those states include gun-control paradises California and Illinois.
The hidden assumption in your argument is that car death rate is constant across states.  Well, it's not really hidden, it's kind of obvious if you're not a total idiot.

Scippy just doesn't want you to believe that guns acquired in states with notoriously lax gun laws can't be transported across state lines, because as we all know, gun homicides are committed by legal gun buyers in California, Illinois and Maryland. 
Funny how those states are all immediately bordered by gun nutter states with atrocious straw purchase rates: Arizona, Indiana and Virginia.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 14, 2013, 12:48:35 PM
Quote from: Scipio on July 14, 2013, 12:46:30 PM
Oddly enough, I think statistics will demonstrate that more YBMs die north of Mason-Dixon, where the North has set the niggers free, to quote Randy Newman.

And that's why the real issue is, in the end, guns.  But we can't talk about that.

:sadface:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 14, 2013, 01:53:57 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 14, 2013, 01:22:33 PM

Scippy just doesn't want you to believe that guns acquired in states with notoriously lax gun laws can't be transported across state lines, because as we all know, gun homicides are committed by legal gun buyers in California, Illinois and Maryland. 
Funny how those states are all immediately bordered by gun nutter states with atrocious straw purchase rates: Arizona, Indiana and Virginia.
I don't think we even need to go there, although this is also a good argument.  Unless we have border control between state lines, state laws on gun ownership will have only limited effect.  However, despite Scippy's best efforts to present retarded arguments showing the contrary, states with tight gun controls still had lower gun death rates.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 14, 2013, 02:01:09 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 14, 2013, 12:48:35 PM
Quote from: Scipio on July 14, 2013, 12:46:30 PM
Oddly enough, I think statistics will demonstrate that more YBMs die north of Mason-Dixon, where the North has set the niggers free, to quote Randy Newman.

And that's why the real issue is, in the end, guns.  But we can't talk about that.

:sadface:

In the meantime, I'll just have to be satisfied with accidental household shooting deaths instead.

Razgovory

So where are the riots I heard were going to happen?  Are Korean shop owners fighting for their lives as we speak?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017