The future George Zimmerman Acquittal Trial Megathread!

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Siege on July 10, 2013, 11:34:06 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 10, 2013, 11:25:20 AM
It's a sad commentary on modern warfare if infantry is the most prestigious type of soldier. :(

Only in western countries.
In the muslim world, the far east, and the 3rd world in general, infantry is the lowest job.

That, should tell you a lot about why they suck so much.

War have always been, and will always be, about the infantry.
There is no victory until you close with the enemy and take their ground and hold it.
Technically, if you have the morals and ethics of Genghis Khan, can't you just terrorize the population with airstrikes until they agree to pacify themselves with their own militia?  And repeat the exercise if the militia isn't exterminating the troublemakers vigorously enough?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 10, 2013, 11:25:20 AM
It's a sad commentary on modern warfare if infantry is the most prestigious type of soldier. :(

Not according to Punch: "The purpose of cavalry is to add tone to what would otherwise be an unseemly brawl."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Break em off sometin:

QuoteDeputies from South Florida have released a public-service announcement urging possible protesters to remain peaceful after the jury decides whether George Zimmerman is guilty of murder in the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin.

The Broward County Sheriff's Office website says deputies have been "working closely with the Sanford Police Department and other local law enforcement agencies" to create a "coordinated a response plan in anticipation of the verdict."

Sanford Police Chief Cecil Smith, however, said his agency didn't know about the video and has not coordinated response plans with Broward.

"We...have had really no contact with Broward County in regards to setting up plans and structures in response to anything," Smith said.

Sanford police have worked closely with the Seminole County Sheriff's Office to develop plans on how to respond to various incidents, Smith said, adding that he is doubtful violence will occur in Sanford — regardless of the verdict.

"What people called for a year ago has happened – an investigation into the shooting, George Zimmerman being charged, better training for law enforcement and the Department of Justice investigating the Sanford police department," Smith said. "Each of those things has been received."

Smith also said there has been a low turnout of protesters at the Seminole County courthouse throughout the trial so far.

The community "has put their trust into the judicial system and we ask that they keep putting their trust in the judicial system," Smith said.

Seminole Sheriff's spokeswoman Kim Cannaday said the agency, "had no hand in producing or releasing the video."

The 36-second video features law enforcement officials, kids from the Jason Taylor Foundation and James Jones of the Miami Heat. The participants shout "raise your voice, not your hands" and "let's give violence a rest, because we can easily end up arrested."

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said in a statement on the website that his agency has no information "about a specific event that might take place at the conclusion of the trial, but we encourage everyone to keep any protests peaceful."

Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of South Florida teenager Trayvon Martin in Sanford.

Trayvon of Miami Gardens was 17 when he was gunned down by Zimmerman, a Neighborhood Watch volunteer who claimed self-defense after the shooting in February 2012.

The trial is unfolding in Sanford and is drawing to a close.

The case has drawn attention from around the globe, including intense interest in South Florida because of the teen's connection to the region.

Broward deputies also said their strategic-investigation division has been "monitoring the pulse of the situation, maintaining open lines of communication with community leaders, civic activists, members of the clergy, as well as local, state and federal agencies."

The Southern Christian Leadership Council is holding a press conference at the Seminole County courthouse at 11 a.m. Thursday to call "for calm during and after this trial," the organization said in a press release.

I doubt there will be riots in Sanford.  It's a small town; so small that there isn't even a Koreatown to ransack. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on July 10, 2013, 01:00:05 PM
I doubt there will be riots in Sanford.  It's a small town; so small that there isn't even a Koreatown to ransack.

And it's just simply too goddamned hot out.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 10, 2013, 10:40:14 AM
Machism is extremely retarded as I understand people do, like showing up what they don't have, or humiliating females, or talking trash. I was taught since I was a kid that machismo was a negative trait that made men commit mistakes.
Probably a solid 30% of your posts on Languish since the beginning have been about how tough you and your unit are.  That's what machismo is.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2013, 02:39:18 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 10, 2013, 10:40:14 AM
Machism is extremely retarded as I understand people do, like showing up what they don't have, or humiliating females, or talking trash. I was taught since I was a kid that machismo was a negative trait that made men commit mistakes.
Probably a solid 30% of your posts on Languish since the beginning have been about how tough you and your unit are.  That's what machismo is.

Nah, that's just good honest bravado.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on July 10, 2013, 01:00:05 PM

Cincy had some nasty riots last decade, and we have no Koreatown.

But I'm sure a high production value video like this will resonate with would-be rioters and prevent any unrest.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 09:10:21 AM
Cincy had some nasty riots last decade, and we have no Koreatown.

Cincy's got worse race relations with the police than LA, man.  CPD is bad news.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 11, 2013, 09:14:39 AM
Cincy's got worse race relations with the police than LA, man.  CPD is bad news.

CPD has been thoroughly pussified in the last decade.  You'd love it now.

derspiess

Also our previous police chief couldn't even carry a gun because he refused to take the qualification tests all CPD officers must take.  Of course, it wasn't that he was worried he'd fail-- just that he was above such petty stuff.  Thankfully he took the Detroit job, so we can hire our next loser.

Admiral Yi

Heard on NPR that the prosecution has asked the judge to instruct the jury about the lesser included charge of murder 3, something about child abuse.  Defense is raising a fit apparently.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 11, 2013, 11:02:15 AM
Heard on NPR that the prosecution has asked the judge to instruct the jury about the lesser included charge of murder 3, something about child abuse.  Defense is raising a fit apparently.

So murder 3 and possibly child abuse was included in the indictment?  Is that common?  Is it fair to the defense to make them defend against multiple degrees of the same charge, or two move the goalposts at the end of the game?

Admiral Yi

Murder 3 is child abuse that results in a death, if I'm not mistaken.  I'd never heard of it before.  Wonder if it's a Florida thing.

I'll let one of the shyster swarm explain the concept of lesser included charges.

derspiess

Sounds like the judge is going to allow the jury to consider a manslaughter charge.

derspiess

Just caught a run-down of the prosecution's final (?) presentation, and it included a rather odd slide re: Ms. Jeantel.  Can't find a screenshot, but it says:

*Spent hours on witness stand
   -Why

*Do you just disregard what she said because:
   -Family from Haiti [???]
   -Isn't Sophisticated
   -Can't read cursive

*I had a dream...... that today, a witness would be judged not on the color of her personality, but the content of her testimony

:lol: