News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hey Jacob have you seen this?

Started by Valmy, June 20, 2013, 03:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I am not the biggest fan of David Gaider's writing but I thought this was a great talk about the industry:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/194571/Video_Sexism_and_sexuality_in_games.php

I watched it and then reflected a bit on what you said about the rapey/abortiony stuff you were mentioning earlier.  Did you see this and what did you think?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Actually watching the entire thing.  It's kinda eye opening.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Wow, an industry that produces products primarily for the adolescent male is run like an industry that produces products primarily for the adolescent male.  Color me shocked as shit.

Razgovory

I'm getting tired of treated as prepubescent boy sometimes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Then work on getting that other testicle descended already.  It's not gonna drop on its own.

Kleves

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2013, 06:41:03 PM
Executive summary?
He wants affirmative action for video game characters.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 20, 2013, 06:54:22 PM
Then work on getting that other testicle descended already.  It's not gonna drop on its own.

Hey I fixed that.  Took a couple hours and pliers but I got that shit sorted out.

Syt

I've been playing digital games for well over 20 years now, and I can say that I'm thoroughly bored by an endless parade of scantily clad, improbably proportioned female characters that are shallow as a puddle in the street and just work with gender stereotypes/sex hormones.

Also, I'm tired of "shooting people in the face" being the core mechanic for oh so many games these days. It's good fun if done right, but for AAA titles it seems about the only option (see: Bioshock: Infinite, Tomb Raider reboot, Dead Space 3, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Star Trek game ...).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2013, 03:59:33 PM
I am not the biggest fan of David Gaider's writing but I thought this was a great talk about the industry:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/194571/Video_Sexism_and_sexuality_in_games.php

I watched it and then reflected a bit on what you said about the rapey/abortiony stuff you were mentioning earlier.  Did you see this and what did you think?

I thought that was interesting enough I actually watched all 45 minutes of it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on June 21, 2013, 12:35:33 AM
I've been playing digital games for well over 20 years now, and I can say that I'm thoroughly bored by an endless parade of scantily clad, improbably proportioned female characters that are shallow as a puddle in the street and just work with gender stereotypes/sex hormones.

I like those. I mean, they don't make up for poor game design or anything, but eye candy is always a plus.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I feel vaguely insulted that developers/publishers think they can use cheap sex appeal to sell games to me. I have Sims 3 with user mods for that thankyouverymuch.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 21, 2013, 06:28:18 AM
Quote from: Kleves on June 20, 2013, 06:54:47 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2013, 06:41:03 PM
Executive summary?
He wants affirmative action for video game characters.

:rolleyes:

When your best argument in developing minority characters in video games is to hire minorities because you can't violate the NDA by reaching out to real-life minorities, what else would you call it?