News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Instruction Manual for Your New Tiger Tank

Started by Jacob, June 20, 2013, 11:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

The illustrations are sweet. Lots of naked ladies.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

I was deterred from clicking the link by the unappealing sample page.

Pedrito

The kind of bi-color red-black print reminds me a lot of old Marklin model trains manuals. Oh, and the complexity, too.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

derspiess

Awesome.  Skimmed through part of it but I'll wait until my boring conference calls later today to read through it in detail.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Pretty interesting. I liked some of the info on the engine,  compact but underpowered even in its upgraded version. The engine compartment wasn't large enough to allow a bigger engine.

The compact engine put out tremendous power for its size. It was 4 feet long, 3 feet 2 inches wide and 3 feet 1 inch tall without the air cleaners. It was mounted in a sealed compartment at the rear of the Tiger.
The engine was rushed into production without all the bugs being worked out. The engine could not be reliably operated at its maximum power output of 3000 rpms and indeed the operating manual given to the Tiger crews, the Tigerfibel, recommended no more than 2600 rpms. It soon became obvious that the Tiger I was seriously underpowered. Because of the tight engine compartment and other technical limitations it was impossible to install a physically larger, more powerful motor. As a result the original engines displacement was increased by replacing the aluminum cylinder block with a cast iron block and boring it out to 23.88 liters (1457 cubic inches). This increased the weight of the motor but also increased the rigidity. The result was a gain in power to 700bhp at 3000rpm. The new engine was designated the Maybach HL 230 TRM P45.

Only the first 250 Tigers had the HL 210 engine. But even the power increase from the HL 210 to the HL 230 was not enough. While it was comparable in speed to other German tanks of the time, it was still slower than many of its adversaries, such as the Russian T34. It also had a high fuel consumption rate of approximately 2.75 gallons per mile. Since the total fuel capacity of the four fuel tanks was around 125 gallons (568 liters), the operational range of a Tiger I was limited and refueling stops had to be frequent, especially when traveling off road. German logistic plans expected the Tiger to be able to travel 121.2 miles (195km) on road and 68.4 miles (110km) off road before refueling.

derspiess

Wonder if they had a similar manual for Panthers.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Quote from: derspiess on June 21, 2013, 09:28:31 AM
Wonder if they had a similar manual for Panthers.

Engine:  Warning it will catch on fire.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Syt

A friend of mine had a Tiger-Fibel that he had gotten from his grandpa.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Which was the page for what to do when Sherman's got on your rear while trying to manually traverse the turret?

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 21, 2013, 02:31:14 PM
Which was the page for what to do when Sherman's got on your rear while trying to manually traverse the turret?

The page that has the funny cartoon with the panzer dude saying "Ich...hab mir... in die Hose geschissen."

And then Elvira starts screwing some GI.