And we're back!

Main Menu

More than one way to skin the NRA

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2013, 09:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2013, 12:51:45 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2013, 12:45:33 PM
Anyway, discussing other threads is neither here nor there, so let's go back to this discussion.  Would you at least concede that your arguments in this thread have at the very least been laughable and disingenuous?

Discussing other threads is completely here and there.  In the other thread you were once again called out when you handed out insults while being in the wrong, and once again you failed to concede  or to retract your statements.

It's just no fun when you do that.
That's the difference between me and the patient lawyer types.  I regard disingenuous arguments as insults, even if they are stated very politely, and I get straight to the point in response. 

How do you debate with someone who claims that blanket stonewalling of ATF appointees could be for specific disagreements with the candidates, or that organizations can function just as effectively without strong leadership?  When arguments so utterly dumb are being made, you know there is no point debating.  The person making such arguments is in effect saying "I think you are so stupid that you will swallow an argument so utterly nonsensical".  Well, if you imply that I'm stupid, I will imply that you are a bullshitter, and no, I will not apologize for it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2013, 01:04:05 PM
I regard disingenuous arguments as insults, even if they are stated very politely, and I get straight to the point in response. 

And when it is demonstated that your point is utter BS, you walk away, and do the same thing next time.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2013, 01:06:36 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2013, 01:04:05 PM
I regard disingenuous arguments as insults, even if they are stated very politely, and I get straight to the point in response. 

And when it is demonstated that your point is utter BS, you walk away, and do the same thing next time.

Pointing this out will not help Languish.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2013, 12:55:59 PM
The process of approving the head of various government agencies is not intended to be a means by which the the legislature can thwart the enforcement of perfectly valid laws they don't like. There are ways of dealing with laws Congress doesn't like, and in fact it is Congress who is responsible for doing so directly.

Not sure I agree. Certainly many (if not most) laws and regulations are not vigorously enforced. Discretion in this area is a critical part of a regulator's job, and that is envisioned when laws are passed.

I'm guessing that you would not be in favor of a federal nominee (to say Attorney General) that promised to vigorously pursue federal drug laws in states that have begun legalization of minor drugs. I don't see how the NRA is so different: they aren't a mainstream organization despite their power, so I don't see it as crazy that they would believe any nominee under Obama and some under Bush are unacceptable. It isn't as though they are trying to block the nomination of Ted Nugent.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on June 20, 2013, 01:14:26 PM
The process of approving the head of various government agencies is not intended to be a means by which the the legislature can thwart the enforcement of perfectly valid laws they don't like. There are ways of dealing with laws Congress doesn't like, and in fact it is Congress who is responsible for doing so directly.

Not sure I agree. Certainly many (if not most) laws and regulations are not vigorously enforced. Discretion in this area is a critical part of a regulator's job, and that is envisioned when laws are passed.

I'm guessing that you would not be in favor of a federal nominee (to say Attorney General) that promised to vigorously pursue federal drug laws in states that have begun legalization of minor drugs. I don't see how the NRA is so different: they aren't a mainstream organization despite their power, so I don't see it as crazy that they would believe any nominee under Obama and some under Bush are unacceptable. It isn't as though they are trying to block the nomination of Ted Nugent.

They are trying to block ANY nomination no matter what policy the nominee intends to carry out. If this person had stated that they intend to enforce the law in some fashion that is within the bounds of their review but not in a manner that Congress approved of, that would be one thing. But that is not the case here. Their problem is not with how the nominee would do the job, but that the nominee would do the job at all, which they do not want done.

I guess if you are ok with that, then fine. Personally, I think it is contemptuous of the very democratic institutions that Congress is there to create.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

To an extent, yes, but you kind of just described the whole reason the "advice and consent" principle exists.  Confirmations are there specifically to avoid appointments that push an agenda.

Where we've run into problems is the abuse it's received.  It's become simply a matter of policy to reject qualified nominees, stripping any meaningful purpose from the rejection in the first place.  It kind of goes hand in hand with how debate seems to be passe in the legislature- these nominations and rejections are almost turning into debate by proxy, cutting huge swaths in federal operations.
Experience bij!

Razgovory

Serious question:  Who was blocking the nominees back in 2006,2007, and 2008?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2013, 01:19:28 PM
They are trying to block ANY nomination no matter what policy the nominee intends to carry out. If this person had stated that they intend to enforce the law in some fashion that is within the bounds of their review but not in a manner that Congress approved of, that would be one thing. But that is not the case here. Their problem is not with how the nominee would do the job, but that the nominee would do the job at all, which they do not want done.

I guess if you are ok with that, then fine. Personally, I think it is contemptuous of the very democratic institutions that Congress is there to create.

Using the confirmation process to effect policy is hardly a novel or new concept. I'm not sure what, if any, laws can't be enforced without an ATF head, but the Congress that put whatever requirements into place should have been aware of this possibility. I'm going to double down on this and say that you are attempting to delegitimize a check a balance built into the ATF legislation.  :P

Anyway, I'm a bit distracted by the threads you started decrying the way the Obama administration is undermining democracy and even federal supremacy by not pursuing the legitimately passed drug laws in Colorado. Oh wait, I guess I'm not.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2013, 01:39:41 PM

The one thing that comes to mind is how Reid scheduled Congress to technically stay in session in 2007 so that Bush couldn't make any recess appointments.  Looking up more info on specific blocks now.
Experience bij!

Berkut

I haven't started any threads either way.

And I've certainly commented on how the Dems do similar things, and did similar things when they were the minority party.

The point here is that it is clear that this has nothing to do with any reverence for the actual Constitution, as the gun nuts claim. They are perfectly happy circumventing the Constitution, as long as it is done in the service of their true goal, protecting their precious, precious guns at any and all costs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

I completely missed the relevance of the start dates.  Mea culpa.

Jacob

According to this it was pro gun-rights Republicans: http://articles.latimes.com/2008/feb/25/nation/na-atf25

QuoteWASHINGTON — President Bush has accused Senate Democrats of unfairly holding up scores of appointments he has made to the federal bench and other senior government positions. The nominees, many of whom have been awaiting Senate confirmation for months, are being treated like "political pawns," Bush said earlier this month.

Michael J. Sullivan, the president's choice to head the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, is one of them. But his problems aren't with Democrats.

Sullivan, a U.S. attorney from Massachusetts, was appointed by Bush to head the ATF nearly a year ago, making him one of the president's longer-serving stalled nominees. The Senate Judiciary Committee approved his nomination in November, but the next month three Republicans used a parliamentary maneuver to put his confirmation on ice.

The opposition, led by gun-rights champions including Sen. Larry E. Craig (R-Idaho), is part of a long dispute between the ATF and gun dealers. The lawmakers think the agency has been overzealous in enforcing requirements that dealers keep detailed gun-sale records.

The lawmakers say they have decided to hold Sullivan's nomination hostage until he promises that the agency will back off.

grumbler

I don't see how the NRA is so different: they aren't a mainstream organization despite their power, so I don't see it as crazy that they would believe any nominee under Obama and some under Bush are unacceptable.

If the NRA were honest enough to admit that they oppose enforcing any gun laws, your point might be valid.  However, the NRA leadership frequently tries to deflect calls for new gun regulations with the argument that "we wouldn't have this problem if the existing laws were simply enforced.  They then do everything they can to make sure that the existing laws don't get enforced (and thus that the gun violence problem worsens).  It is hypocrisy on the face of it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

A bigger issue is that the standards for rejecting a President's choice for an executive branch position should be (IMO) very high.  There need to be very serious concerns for the Congress to meddle with President's choice for running offices in his own (executive) branch.  Yes, I know the Democrats helped create this particular mess with John Tower.  But multiple wrongs since then aren't the right fix.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I would have no problem with amending the Constitution to do away with confirmations.

Maybe keep it for judges, since they sit for life, not just the term of the president.