And we're back!

Main Menu

Exodus International Shuts Down

Started by garbon, June 20, 2013, 08:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2013, 12:38:14 PM
Quote from: Maximus on June 20, 2013, 12:22:19 PM
I imagine by the time such a "cure" is available to the masses few will care enough to use it.

Eh plenty of the masses today are not as petrified of having gay kids as Raz seems to think they are.

No, but most parents want kids that are like them, and most parents are straight.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on June 20, 2013, 12:36:06 PM
I imagine by the time such a "cure" is available to the masses few will care enough to use it.

God, I hope so!

Why?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2013, 01:42:53 PM

Why?

Because I don't believe that homosexuality is a negative quality nor something to be "cured", anymore than blue eyes or brown eyes are. And I dislike the idea of designer children.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

You think attitudes will change relatively quickly in the developing world?

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2013, 02:18:16 PM

They have change immensely in my lifetime in my city.

When I was a kid, the cops used to take people they caught who were visibly gay to deserted places on the lakeshore and beat the shit out of them (the infamous "Cherry Beach Express"). Lots of people thought the cops were doing a good job, cleaning up the 'trash' by discouraging 'open displays of perversion'.

Nowadays, the mayor marches at the head of the Pride parade and the city advertises itself as a marriage destination for gays with cash.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on June 20, 2013, 02:04:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2013, 01:42:53 PM

Why?

Because I don't believe that homosexuality is a negative quality nor something to be "cured", anymore than blue eyes or brown eyes are. And I dislike the idea of designer children.

You are against the right of parents to choose?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2013, 02:18:16 PM

I'm thinking of a technology change in the next 5-10 years.  Even if the entire developing world wants gay kids (unlikely), the rest of the world may not.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2013, 06:27:54 PM

One can hope something won't happen without feeling the need to outlaw it.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on June 20, 2013, 06:58:48 PM

We do seem to have a strange notion here that if you don't like something, you must be for banning it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: merithyn on June 20, 2013, 06:58:48 PM

You can hope, but lets be realistic here.   People don't have to be anti-gay to want children that are like them.  It's a very common and possibly natural urge.  And many parents look forward to having grandchildren.  And that's ignoring social, and mental problems that often come with homosexuality.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on June 20, 2013, 07:14:34 PM
You can hope, but lets be realistic here.   People don't have to be anti-gay to want children that are like them.  It's a very common and possibly natural urge.  And many parents look forward to having grandchildren.  And that's ignoring social, and mental problems that often come with homosexuality.

Many != all. The point is that I hope that the social and mental problems will be gone by the time this kind of technology is useful because it will be considered just as "normal" to be homosexual as it is to be heterosexual.

Eddie Teach

Well, I know you've claimed this isn't true for you, but many people are driven to want children by the biological imperative and that's what makes them willing to put up with the sacrifices it entails. Clearly offspring who are likely to reproduce themselves even if by accident are preferable to ones who take an act of will(and may just as soon settle for raising their partner's or some random strangers spawn) from that point of view.

But I doubt there is a "cure" for homosexuality in the genes anyway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I'd think with homosexuality being a tick box a lot of parents would choose a straight kid.
A lot of the time I don't think it would be so much that a kid is gay which is the problem, but that due to being gay the prospect of grandkids has been cut off. The line ends with them.

But I doubt there is a "cure" for homosexuality in the genes anyway.
Yeah, I think it is mostly a case of nurture over nature.
Though I would be willing to believe that the chance of a  kid being gay can be reduced through genetic tampering.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Dang, time to find a new charity.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall