News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sonia Sotomayor for USSC?

Started by Caliga, May 26, 2009, 07:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

QuoteAP source: Obama picks Sotomayor for Supreme Court

WASHINGTON (AP) - Officials tell The Associated Press that President Barack Obama intends to nominate federal appeals court judge Sonia Sotomayor (SUHN'-ya soh-toh-my-YOR') as the first Hispanic to serve on the Supreme Court.
Sotomayor, 54, would succeed retiring Justice David Souter if confirmed by the Senate. The officials spoke to AP on condition of anonymity because Obama has not yet announced his decision.

:bowler:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Do you normally have pronunciation guides in news pieces?

Caliga

Quote from: The Larch on May 26, 2009, 08:16:12 AM

Normally not, no.  Assuming she's the nominee, the guides will probably go away within a few days once the pronunciation of her name is widely known.

Valmy

Oh...well...I have such a strong opinion on this...

Does she like good and oppose evil?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

You couldn't have posted something more detailed than that Cal? It doesn't say anything about her views, politics or judicial philosophy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2009, 09:10:28 AM
You couldn't have posted something more detailed than that Cal? It doesn't say anything about her views, politics or judicial philosophy.

I presume Languishites are veteran Googlers and can thus find that information on their own.  Besides, that's all that was in the article.  :huh:

Savonarola

:(

Granholm could have been the first Canadian-American justice.  How long will we continue to be discriminated against?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on May 26, 2009, 08:40:47 AM
Oh...well...I have such a strong opinion on this...

Does she like good and oppose evil?

Has she ever smoked marijuana?  Has she ever found pubic hair on a can of Coca-Cola and remarked about it to a subordinate?  There are many unanswered questions.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on May 26, 2009, 09:13:51 AM
:(

Granholm could have been the first Canadian-American justice.  How long will we continue to be discriminated against?

You just want to get rid of that cunt. I don't blame you, but don't pawn her off on the rest of us.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 26, 2009, 09:19:36 AM

You just want to get rid of that cunt. I don't blame you, but don't pawn her off on the rest of us.

What's the worst that could happen?  She wouldn't have to balance a budget as a Supreme Court Justice.  It's the perfect job for her.

Darth Wagtaros

She is a judicial activist. A threat to the Constitution and will be destroyed.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2009, 09:10:28 AM

She was a protege of Daniel Moynihan, who got Bush (H.W.) to nominate her to her first federal judicial position to the district court in Manhattan.  I have never appeared in front of her.  Anecdotally, my impression is that she is solid but not one of the judicial stars of the Circuit.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Larch on May 26, 2009, 08:16:12 AM
Only when the name will be mis-pronounced by people unfamiliar with it.  I've heard people in the office pronounce it as "Soto Mayor".

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on May 26, 2009, 09:26:27 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 26, 2009, 09:19:36 AM

What's the worst that could happen?  She wouldn't have to balance a budget as a Supreme Court Justice.  It's the perfect job for her.

Her perfect position is being thrown back across the border.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 26, 2009, 09:42:39 AM
Her perfect position is being thrown back across the border.

She's a Puerto Rican, Mr. Raciss.  We own them, remember?  :)