New Computer - Let's talk about it.

Started by Grey Fox, June 18, 2013, 03:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on June 27, 2013, 11:20:18 AM
Oh, wait, this is an Apple connection?  Fuck that noise then.  Let's pretend I never made my post. :)

Mostly, no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

It is a protocol that Apple is supporting (and sometimes Apple's support can drive adoption), but it's owned by VESA and is royalty-free.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on June 27, 2013, 10:53:40 AM
QUESTION:  My new HDMI cable should get here today so I can set my shiny new monitor up.  However, when I unpacked it yesterday, plugged it in, and turned it on to validate it was working (and it was), I noticed that it also has a DisplayPort jack.  I don't believe my current gfx card has a DisplayPort jack but most of the newest ones seem to.  Is DisplayPort better than HDMI?  Should I plan on my next gfx card having a DisplayPort jack?
no diffrence that you would perceive, for now.

DisplayPort is better on paper, it offers more possibilities.  It's not something we notice in games, even less in general use.  It has higher bandwith than HDMI and it is royalty free, so ultimately it will replace HDMI on the desktop, and possibly on home theater setup too.

Your next video card will likely come with a dp port, you won't have to look for it.  It's necessary for multiple display setup, like dual cards 6 monitor setup.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

:face: You can only get 144 Hz refresh rate with this monitor if you use a DisplayPort or DVI-D cable.  Oh well, I only paid $7 for this HDMI cable and since it's 15' I'm sure I'll find another use for it at some point.  That said, with HDMI there's a special color setting that, when enabled, looks pretty awesome. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Caliga

I had to turn the brightness way the fuck down on my new ASUS.  It was hurting my eyes. :huh:

Grey Fox

I turned it down to 50%, it's much better. I can only imagine how it looks on those 27 inches.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on July 02, 2013, 09:29:13 PM
I had to turn the brightness way the fuck down on my new ASUS.  It was hurting my eyes. :huh:
They probably put it high so when they take it out in stores they look better, what with all the lighting and the general profiency of BestBuy's sales staff with computers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Yeah, makes sense.  IIRC I had to do that with my last monitor also (which was a Samsung).

Caliga

I'm looking at doing a new PC build now, one in which I shift from AMD back to Intel/nVIDIA (since I own Intel stock now it seems like I ought to help myself by using their products. :) )

CPU would probably be an i7-4770K (Haswell), which means I need a new PSU in addition to a new board, so I'm probably going to just build an entirely new system, case and all.

Grey Fox

Want to give the old one to goodwill(ie : my girlfriend)?

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 18, 2013, 09:52:31 AM
If you drive down here to pick it up, sure. :)

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on October 18, 2013, 09:54:29 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 18, 2013, 09:52:31 AM
If you drive down here to pick it up, sure. :)

Does it has to be Me-me or can it be Fedex-Me?

Caliga

:hmm: Not sure if serious.

Anyway, I tend to do builds over a long period of time (ordering shit as it goes on sale), and always keep my last PC around for a few months in case the new one breaks, so we're probably talking six months out here at the earliest.... and I'd still want at least a couple of hundred for the old PC--it can run Skyrim at close to max settings so it's not like it's ancient history or anything.

Grey Fox

I am serious. If you are willing to give your old computer parts away, I will take them. We can discuss how to achieve that later.