New Computer - Let's talk about it.

Started by Grey Fox, June 18, 2013, 03:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 02:48:55 PM
I dunno Viper - you (and GF) are building a PC the same way you'd do it in 1998 - get a giant case, find the most powerful CPU and GPU you can for the budget.

I was suggesting a slim build, but on second though that probably isn't radical enough.  It's 2013 - for "light gaming" perhaps GF should buy a Windows 8 tablet / convertible?  Or screw windows entirely and get a iPad / Android tablet with keyboard?

Actually, if it's only for light gaming, why not save a couple hundred and go with a single-die setup like the A10-5700: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113289?

It'll also be quite a bit quieter, since you're not plunking a GPU with huge fans in there.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 20, 2013, 03:34:03 PM
I dunno Viper - you (and GF) are building a PC the same way you'd do it in 1998 - get a giant case, find the most powerful CPU and GPU you can for the budget.

I was suggesting a slim build, but on second though that probably isn't radical enough.  It's 2013 - for "light gaming" perhaps GF should buy a Windows 8 tablet / convertible?  Or screw windows entirely and get a iPad / Android tablet with keyboard?

Actually, if it's only for light gaming, why not save a couple hundred and go with a single-die setup like the A10-5700: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113289?

It'll also be quite a bit quieter, since you're not plunking a GPU with huge fans in there.

If you go back to the first page, you'll see that a A10-5700 was precisely what I suggested, and for precisely that reason. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 03:37:44 PM
If you go back to the first page, you'll see that a A10-5700 was precisely what I suggested, and for precisely that reason. :contract:

:blush: My bad.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 20, 2013, 03:40:46 PM

I'm still 99% positive the video card in there isn't good enough for even light gaming.  I've been down that road before, it was Nvidia back in the days who made these kind of board + combo card, and it just wouldn't work for anything else than office duty (Excel, Word, etc.).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on June 20, 2013, 10:09:19 PM

I'm still 99% positive the video card in there isn't good enough for even light gaming.  I've been down that road before, it was Nvidia back in the days who made these kind of board + combo card, and it just wouldn't work for anything else than office duty (Excel, Word, etc.).

But this isn't a board + combo card.  This is an APU - a CPU and GPU on the same chip.

Supposedly it works pretty good (and is miles better than any Intel integrated graphics).  But I've never had one, so I'm only going by reviews.

katmai

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2013, 11:44:14 AM
In the words of Ed Anger; MAH SHOWS

Remind me to kick you in the nuts.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

I like the A10 suggestion but I'd get the 5800k since it's the same price & is the unlocked version.

People at Neogaf are telling me that my 8800 GTS should be better than anything onboard.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud893Ehcwjw&t=1m40s

Basically, the onboard 7660D trails right behind a GeForce GT 640M.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 21, 2013, 06:00:12 AM
I like the A10 suggestion but I'd get the 5800k since it's the same price & is the unlocked version.

People at Neogaf are telling me that my 8800 GTS should be better than anything onboard.

5800k - fair enough.  My sample build was really just a quick "proof of concept" - none of the items were specifically recommended over anything comparable.

And I bet that 8800 GTS would be better.  But it's also much bigger and hotter.  The main question is whether the AMD stuff is "good enough".

viper37

Actually, I like giant cases.  I often upgrade computer parts, or shuffle them around the various computers, and when I do, I like to be able to put my hands into it.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on June 21, 2013, 11:06:30 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 21, 2013, 06:00:12 AM

5800k - fair enough.  My sample build was really just a quick "proof of concept" - none of the items were specifically recommended over anything comparable.

And I bet that 8800 GTS would be better.  But it's also much bigger and hotter.  The main question is whether the AMD stuff is "good enough".

At somepoint she will inherit my GT 460 too.

Caliga

I've started poking around Tomshardware, Anandtech, Newegg, etc. and looking into the Haswell CPUs.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on June 20, 2013, 10:36:44 PM

But this isn't a board + combo card.  This is an APU - a CPU and GPU on the same chip.

Supposedly it works pretty good (and is miles better than any Intel integrated graphics).  But I've never had one, so I'm only going by reviews.

I've an A8 based laptop, and it does light gaming well; plays Civ5 in dx10/11 pretty mode just fine.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37