New Computer - Let's talk about it.

Started by Grey Fox, June 18, 2013, 03:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

So what?  at 0,095$/kwh, how much more are we talking about in a year?  That's about 50w under full load.  For the time it runs.
Presumably, your girlfriend will start the computer, play/work for a few hours, than shut it down.  Let's make it 2hrs a day 7 days a week, full load.  That means 35$ more under this scenario.  Wich is extreme.  Imho, you're looking at less than 5$ a year under realistic assumptions.

It doesn't really run hotter than Intel, it offers much more performance.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+965

Imho, you won't regret it.

But if power is really an issue, try the kit BB suggested, just keep in mind that you will need another video card down the line, and a Radeon too, and not any Radeon, so if you go that way, be sure to check carefully what type of card you will need.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

It's never off. I don't turn my computers off.

I'm considering it, all options are on the table.

Except buying a discrete Radeon card, that's not happenning.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

What's the hotness in Monitor Brand nowadays?

Keep in mind I might have to buy 2 of them & nothing bigger than 24 inches.

Barrister

Well you do presumably let the computer hibernate...

And if all options are on the table:

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/21

:w00t:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2013, 11:06:54 AM

I :wub: my Samsung 27".

But I did have an earlier 24" Samsung die on me just past warranty.

Grey Fox

No hibernate! Hibernate is kryptonite to ssds.

As I will not be user #1(or any user) I'll have to ask my gf what she thinks of having a mac.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2013, 11:09:00 AM
No hibernate! Hibernate is kryptonite to ssds.

As I will not be user #1(or any user) I'll have to ask my gf what she thinks of having a mac.

Then why the fuck aren't you turning it off then? :wacko:  You must really love Hydro Quebec I guess.

I just realized that these days the biggest question (unless you go Mac) is: Win 8 and touchscreen.  Do you want it?

Grey Fox

The reason my computer is never off : I will not testify your honour.

The reason my girlfriend's computer is never off : I have no idea, it's her computer.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2013, 11:20:55 AM
The reason my computer is never off : I will not testify your honour.

The reason my girlfriend's computer is never off : I have no idea, it's her computer.

:ultra: God damn pirate scum!

Grey Fox

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2013, 10:41:45 AM
It's never off. I don't turn my computers off.
I'm considering it, all options are on the table.
They need their sleep too!  :D
Sleep/standby will reduce your power consumption.  I set my office computer for sleep after an hour, it's quick to resume (<5seconds) and it saves power during the night, plus, the secretary does not need to start my computer and wait for it.

I have a SSD in the office, no problem with hibernate. It doesn't kill your SSD, but many people think it has no use because startup is faster than it was on an HDD.

But I do have a bias toward AMD ;)  And you did ask for it! :P

Except buying a discrete Radeon card, that's not happenning.
Than I wouldn't go the A-10 way.  If you change your mind later and want a video card, you're kinda stuck with Radeon.  Where as with any other board&cpu, slap any card you want.  When your 8800GTS is too slow for you, but any other card you want :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2013, 11:06:54 AM

Asus seems to be well liked this year.  I bought 2 Alienware (23") last year and like them, but they seem discontinued.  I have two NEC MultiSync in the office, they're great for text reading, but they do lack in the color department.

viper37

Found a new CPU:
AMD FX-4300.  95w power consumption on full load.  That's 30w more than the i3, more powerful than both your i3 and the Phenom II X4.  All for 112.99$.

Barrister

I dunno Viper - you (and GF) are building a PC the same way you'd do it in 1998 - get a giant case, find the most powerful CPU and GPU you can for the budget.

I was suggesting a slim build, but on second though that probably isn't radical enough.  It's 2013 - for "light gaming" perhaps GF should buy a Windows 8 tablet / convertible?  Or screw windows entirely and get a iPad / Android tablet with keyboard?

Grey Fox

:lol:

I've got that, I have a nexus 4.

I've started looking at a Mini ITX form factor. I don't want to go Slim since I already have a couple of PSUs not doing anything. Altho, my girlfriend doesn't seem to want to move away from having the tower on the ground. She's very conservative when it comes to those things.