New Computer - Let's talk about it.

Started by Grey Fox, June 18, 2013, 03:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on November 26, 2013, 03:26:00 PM
Interesting.  I have actually been noticing some problems with Chrome in 8 where it seems to take forever to load websites when I know my internet connection is solid.  In fact, it was happening last night and I opened up IE and loaded the same sites with no problem.  Supposedly if you use the Metro version of Chrome, the problem isn't present there (I found this on Google's forums last night), but I'm not sure I want to do that.
I think I figured out what the problem was... when I installed the ASUS software that was designed for my motherboard it added a 'feature' called ASUS Network iControl that's supposed to help prioritize bandwidth... except it seems to want to make everything zero priority. :huh:

Uninstalled it, and it made an immediate and huge difference.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 29, 2013, 07:58:27 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 28, 2013, 11:27:30 PM
:)  Is it one of the Samsung smart TVs with voice activation, etc?

Oh no, it's the 5000 model that is Canada's Black Friday door crasher everywhere.

In Canada, the price difference between the smart & non-smart model is INSANE. Would be cheaper to just buy an Xbox One.

Yeah the price difference is pretty big here too. While I'm sure it's cool to wave at it and say TV on, it's probably not THAT cool. It's a big improvement from the old one for sure.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on November 29, 2013, 08:57:44 AM
I think I figured out what the problem was... when I installed the ASUS software that was designed for my motherboard it added a 'feature' called ASUS Network iControl that's supposed to help prioritize bandwidth... except it seems to want to make everything zero priority. :huh:

Uninstalled it, and it made an immediate and huge difference.

Ugh, yeah.  I got a nasty bite back from iControl, too.  You can tune the profile all you want, but it still won't load the profile on startup and make you save it and select it every time you want your network not to drag.  After looking for ways to work with it, I found out that AISuite II is a known clusterfuck that most system builders just don't even bother installing.  As of now, the only piece of ASUS middleware that I still have on my computer is the Xonar DG Audio Center for my sound card.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

This sucks, I buy the CPU & Motherboard in a combo deal on NCIX.com

Of course, the motherboard is back ordered. They sent me the CPU.

Yay.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 20, 2013, 08:16:29 PM
Viper will be happy, I bought an AMD FX-6300 for my Girlfriend computer.
:punk:

I'm sad the MB is b.o. though :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 24, 2013, 02:01:51 PM
This sucks, I buy the CPU & Motherboard in a combo deal on NCIX.com

Of course, the motherboard is back ordered. They sent me the CPU.

Yay.

Wait, an M5A97 is backordered?  That's the mobo I have, and it wasn't exactly top of the line when I ordered it. O.o

Of course, I don't think the 6300 or the 8350 were out yet, either, so then again, there wasn't a real compelling reason for an AM3+ motherboard.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

It was a good price for the bundle, maybe they sold lots of them.