Swedish naval vessels open fire on confirmed hostiles, first time since when?

Started by Ape, May 26, 2009, 05:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ape

http://www.thelocal.se/19672/20090526/

QuoteSwedish navy arrests pirates off Somali coast

Published: 26 May 09 11:25 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/19672/20090526/

Dictionary tool Double click on a word to get a translation

Swedish naval personnel arrested seven pirates in the Gulf of Aden in the early hours of Tuesday morning, according to a statement from the Swedish Armed Forces.

* Spy ship rescues Russian fishermen (18 May 09)
    * Swede caught in Somali pirate attack (26 Apr 09)
    * Swedish navy set to join hunt for pirates off Somali coast (16 Apr 09)

The pirates were apprehended by staff from the HMS Malmö as they attempted to board a cargo vessel halfway between Yemen and Somalia.

HMS Malmö was responding to a distress signal sent out shortly before 1.30am by the M/V Antonis. The cargo ship's crew said they had come under grenade fire from two boats manned by pirates.

When the Swedish crew arrived at the scene the pirates were attempting to board the cargo vessel.

HMS Malmö fired warning shots at the pirates using cannons, machine guns and sniper fire in a bid to halt the attack, the Swedish military said.

When the pirates attempted to flee, the HMS Malmö took up the chase, focusing on one of the boats. After around twenty minutes, the pirates gave up and a Swedish crew was dispatched to board the pirates' fishing boat.

Seven men were handcuffed and taken on board the Swedish corvette. The boarding crew also seized two handguns, a GPS navigator and a grappling hook.

The Swedish Navy has detained the seven pirates and is currently awaiting orders from the head of the EU's Somalia operation.

An agreement between the EU and Kenya stipulates that pirates arrested by EU forces are to be taken to Kenya to face trial.

More information soon.

TT/The Local ([email protected]/08 656 6518)

Swedish navy fired depthcharges on supposed Soviet/Russian subs during the eighties/nineties, but many of these cases have later been proven to be organics rather then submarines.  :Embarrass:

When was the last time Swedish ships fired their guns in anger upon an hostile vessel? I haven't the foggiest.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Alatriste

1814, I would say... probably some corsair attacking French shipping.

Viking

Quote from: Alatriste on May 26, 2009, 05:49:36 AM
1814, I would say... probably some corsair attacking French shipping.

I'm guessing 1809, but then again the Swedish Navy imfamously did not fight when it mattered. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ape on May 26, 2009, 05:31:11 AM
Swedish navy fired depthcharges on supposed Soviet/Russian subs during the eighties/nineties, but many of these cases have later been proven to be organics rather then submarines.  :Embarrass:

Really? Sounds like a good way to start WWIII.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ape

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 26, 2009, 09:16:25 AM

Should have added, 'on Swedish territorial waters'.

Neil

Why?  Would the US lift a finger to save Sweden from the Soviets?

I would hope not.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ape

Quote from: Neil on May 26, 2009, 09:29:59 AM

Why?  Would the US lift a finger to save Sweden from the Soviets?

I would hope not.
Overall strategic picture. If Sweden would have fallen to the Red horde, Norway becomes completely undefendable. Sweden on the other hand is much more defendable, particulary in an attack from the north

The Brain

:huh: Why would... ah OK it's Tim.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

When playing as the Soviets in the WWIII boardgames GDW put out, I always violated Finn and Swede neutrality to get at the creamy nougat that is Norway.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 26, 2009, 03:56:55 PM
When playing as the Soviets in the WWIII boardgames GDW put out, I always violated Finn and Swede neutrality to get at the creamy nougat that is Norway.

I have got to get those games.  You can combine all three into one super game right?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Those might have been American subs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on May 26, 2009, 04:27:14 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 26, 2009, 03:56:55 PM

I have got to get those games.  You can combine all three into one super game right?

They are very expensive now. But yeah, you could combine all 4 into Europe and the Middle East.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Third_World_War_series
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive