Sono inglesi. Dove il la pizza? (aka. Tyr goes to Italy)

Started by Josquius, June 16, 2013, 09:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Actually reading Jos's rundown, I can see why DGul says he dislikes travel. If that was what it was always like, I'd dislike it too.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2013, 12:00:58 PM
Actually reading Jos's rundown, I can see why DGul says he dislikes travel. If that was what it was always like, I'd dislike it too.

Actually, I agree.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Quote from: alfred russel on August 21, 2013, 11:58:09 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 21, 2013, 06:16:17 AM
In review:

Rome- Not as awesome as expected. Its strange, there's the nice clean and policeman filled city centre to the west of the station (NOT including the station) for the tourists and the rest of the city is left fallow for the wildlings to grafiti as they see fit.
The colloseum and forum areas were really cool. The Vatican was rather meh; I expected something more grandiose (that cathedral is the centre of christendom? Really?) and more indications that I was in another country.

Tyr, something went horribly wrong with your trip to Rome.

I find it really shocking that a historically inclined person wouldn't enjoy 4 days in Rome.

I find it almost impossible that a historically inclined person ran out of things to do before 4 days were up.

As for the Vatican, I understand that St. Peters was designed with certain sightlines in mind, and I believe during the redevelopment of the city under Mussolini (could be getting the date wrong) those significantly changed. I agree the cathedral itself isn't so great to look at, but Michaelangelo's Pieta sculpture inside and the Sistine Chapel are in my opinion worth all the hype they get. The Vatican museums are also a trainwreck of organization, but still interesting.

Given his coments about Rome and Florence, I really wonder what were his expectations.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on August 21, 2013, 09:53:26 AM

QuoteI'm wondering if he really only enjoyed hanging out at the bars.
:huh:
Most people go on holiday and they get drunk every night for 2 weeks.
I only drank a handful of times during my trip, mostly with food and never more than four or five, usually just the one.
Of course I wouldn't expect you to understand the fun that can be had meeting people.

Quote from: The Larch on August 21, 2013, 08:46:19 AM
I keep wondering if Tyr genuinely enjoys anything he does or see. There's zero passion in his words, even when describing something he apparently liked.

I am dead inside.

It's true, I'm not a drunk.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Pedrito

Quote from: Tyr on August 21, 2013, 06:16:17 AM
Padua- Pretty little place, seems like it'd be OK to live there. Sorry but not much for tourists though. I got really lost at one point when I was looking for the city walls and managed to totally miss them and walked off god knows where. But still it didn't get ghettoy. Which is a plus.
MAH HOMETOWN.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on August 21, 2013, 04:07:40 PM
Given his coments about Rome and Florence, I really wonder what were his expectations.

I am wondering what he saw or how much he understood what he was seeing.  Hard to imagine anyone going through St. Peter's and saying "meh".

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2013, 03:34:44 PM

I am wondering what he saw or how much he understood what he was seeing.  Hard to imagine anyone going through St. Peter's and saying "meh".

I wasn't super keen on St. Peter's.

It was really, really big, and had a lot of marble.  Almost too much marble.  Seemed somewhat gauche, and rather impersonal.  I was much more moved by some of the other cathedrals I saw in Italy (San Marco in Venice, for example).

Not really defending Jos though, as he went "Meh" to most sights he saw, which definitely wasn't my experience.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

It makes me wonder what his expectations and hopes were.  It's not like he hopped a ferry and checked out the place on a weekend.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on August 22, 2013, 03:40:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2013, 03:34:44 PM

It was really, really big, and had a lot of marble.  Almost too much marble.  Seemed somewhat gauche, and rather impersonal.  I was much more moved by some of the other cathedrals I saw in Italy (San Marco in Venice, for example).

Not really defending Jos though, as he went "Meh" to most sights he saw, which definitely wasn't my experience.

St. Peter's really impressed me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

It was really, really big, and had a lot of marble.  Almost too much marble.  Seemed somewhat gauche, and rather impersonal.

BB takes a trip to the Vatican - desire for religious reform +3

alfred russel

I just realized that Tyr also started the thread "Korea - too boring".  :D

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2013, 04:11:46 PM

It was really, really big, and had a lot of marble.  Almost too much marble.  Seemed somewhat gauche, and rather impersonal.

BB takes a trip to the Vatican - desire for religious reform +3

Oh no - the Vatican in general was wonderful.  The Vatican musems, Cistine chapell... :wub:

Just St. Peters itself.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points