Sono inglesi. Dove il la pizza? (aka. Tyr goes to Italy)

Started by Josquius, June 16, 2013, 09:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

The trouble with getting lost is getting lost. It's nice to jus t wander for a while but then when you want to stop you can't. Wander too far fron th centre and my  map runs out; I've yet to fina tourist info office. Transport isn't very good in Rome and it is a confusing city. Not so many places to buy drinks about, Japan has really spoiled me with its combinis and vending machines everywhere.

Night life....don't think I'm going to touch it as nice as it may be. I'm alone and I don't have the money, the need or the hygiene.

Anyway. I was  suppose  to be jus t summarising my trip so far here but it's veering towards tyr is too cowardly to kill himself territory.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

crazy canuck

Or at least Tyr couldnt have a good time if he was in one of the best cities in the world.  ;)

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2013, 04:50:54 PM
The trouble with getting lost is getting lost. It's nice to jus t wander for a while but then when you want to stop you can't. Wander too far fron th centre and my  map runs out; I've yet to fina tourist info office. Transport isn't very good in Rome and it is a confusing city. Not so many places to buy drinks about, Japan has really spoiled me with its combinis and vending machines everywhere.

Night life....don't think I'm going to touch it as nice as it may be. I'm alone and I don't have the money, the need or the hygiene.

Anyway. I was  suppose  to be jus t summarising my trip so far here but it's veering towards tyr is too cowardly to kill himself territory.

Tyr, not sure how to take the last sentence....

But don't worry so much. If you get lost, you will eventually get back to where you need to be, just ask for directions.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on August 08, 2013, 04:55:56 PM
Tyr, not sure how to take the last sentence....

Yeah Jos, that's a bit worrisome considering that no one said anything like that...:(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

QuoteLife without GPS is terrifying

Welcome to the 70's kid. We did alright.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 08, 2013, 06:15:25 PM
QuoteLife without GPS is terrifying

Welcome to the 70's kid. We did alright.

Well except for the whole plaid bell bottoms thing.  That was a mess.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Lettow77

Quote from: The Larch on August 08, 2013, 04:53:08 PM
No need to get all emo and Lettowy on us.

Hey now, I resent that remark! Tyr is consistently cynical, unhappy, negative and gloomy. I probably have more moments of ebullient optimism and delight at the world than most people here. Granted, lows happen too, but isn't that the case for everyone?  Poor tyr needs our concern and help, but his behavior certainly doesn't have parallel with mine.

I am wandering a strange city too, and I haven't eaten for two days- but this is exciting! And soon enough I will be back in Fukuoka's gentle embrace..
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Brazen

Fly over to London, there's plenty to see and do, it's easy to buy drinks and get around and I hear tell there's a decent accessible nightlife :console:

I haven't been to Rome, but I have a cunning plan for any new city.

Find a tourist information place and, as others have said, get a better map. Sign up to a walking tour - there are even free ones:
http://www.romefreewalkingtour.com/free-tours/?gclid=CPe8vNn_77gCFU_MtAodkTgAXw

Or as you're finding walking a pain, try a hop-on-hop off bus tour:
http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/hop-on-hop-off-rome-with-2-routes_19393
http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/italy/rome.htm

I can't say I've ever had a problem buying drinks in any city in Europe, but then I'd rather go into a shop or cafe than use a vending machine.

I love Jacob's link of 20 great things to do. And don't forget you don't have to do things all the time. Make like an Italian and sit in a square sipping a cappuccino (only in the morning though, they look at you weird if you ask for one later in the day), nibble a gelato, read "I, Claudius", watch the pretty ladies go by and say ciao to everyone.

Hope you relax into it and have fun, I'm certainly jealous of your trip!

Razgovory

I got lost in Italy once, and ended up being chased by lumberjacks/prostitutes. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2013, 09:41:20 AM
I got lost in Italy once, and ended up being chased by lumberjacks/prostitutes. :(

You must have wandered into a legislative session.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2013, 09:41:20 AM

That wasnt Italy.  That was Commercial Drive in Vancouver.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2013, 02:56:45 PM
Did Squeeze get lost? :unsure:

He wandered into a Samnite camp and was killed by the chief. Should have bought the 1 euro tourist map.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

You could probably bargain the Nigerians down to half a euro.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.